James is a partner in Taft’s Commercial Litigation practice group. Working with businesses and individuals in various industries, including the construction, energy, real estate and finance sectors, James counsels clients on complex litigation matters through mediation and international arbitration. His practice touches on areas including:
- Construction cases involving bond claims, title disputes and landlord-tenant disputes.
- Real estate development.
- Business transactions.
- Shareholder and contract disputes.
- Business torts such as fraud, conversion and tortious interference.
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) disputes.
Prior to joining Taft, James was a partner at a national law firm. He earned his J.D. from the University of Wisconsin Law School and his bachelor’s degree in history and political science from the University of Pennsylvania.
All Service Areas
- University of Wisconsin Law School (2003)
- University of Pennsylvania (2000)
Bachelor's degree in history and political science
- State - Illinois
- State - Wisconsin
- Obtained $8.3 million, including $6 million in punitive damages for client, RyKrisp™, in a litigation matter involving a food manufacturer’s tortious efforts against RyKrisp.
- Appealed and successfully removed a temporary restraining order that had frozen $20 million in client assets.
- Defended client against an injunction that involved breaches of covenants not to compete.
- Obtained $1 million in an arbitration for clients who were former stockholders of a company related to a dispute between an international corporation and the former stockholders of a company it acquired. The corporation’s claims stated that the clients were required to indemnify the company for taxes that were accrued but unpaid at closing.
- Obtained half million dollars in arbitration involving failure by an insurance agent to provide contingent commissions to a client.
Speeches and Publications
- Co-author, chapter 11, “Motions, Affidavits, and Orders,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education’s Civil Practice: Opening the Case, 2009 Edition
- Speaker, “Ethics and Governance Best Practices for Non-Profit Corporations,” Association of Financial Crimes Investigators (2015)
- Speaker, “Recent Changes in Illinois Law and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” Illinois Paralegal Association (May 2011)
- Speaker, “Corporate and Personal Guarantees,” National Association of Credit Managers’ Midwest Conference (Oct. 2010)
- Speaker, “Third Party Rights Overview,” and “Settlement Strategies and Alternatives,” National Cement Credit Association Conference (Oct. 2009)
- Speaker, “Electronic Data in Credit and Collections,” National Association of Credit Managers’ Midwest Conference (Oct. 2009)