Jim represents real estate developers in the acquisition, development, financing, leasing and sale of real estate. He served as developer's counsel in connection with the development and financing of the largest shopping mall in the United States, the Mall of America. Jim also has experience negotiating leases for regional developers, as well as ground leases for hotel sites adjacent to retail developments.
"Lawyer of the Year" Honoree, Indianapolis Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law (2016)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America® (2006 – present)
Honoree, Chambers USA Leading Lawyers, Real Estate (2010 - present)
Honoree, Indiana Super Lawyers (2011 - 2018, 2021)
AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Honoree, Who's Who in American Law
Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation
All Service Areas
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (1980)
summa cum laude
- Indiana University (B.S., highest distinction) (1977)
- State - Indiana
- Represented a prominent national developer and property owner in connection with a $48,000,000 loan from a life insurance company secured by a large regional shopping center.
- Acted as counsel to Simon Property Group in matters related to its acquisition of outlet centers from Prime Outlets Acquisition Company.
- Acted as developer's counsel in connection with first IKEA location in Indiana.
- Acted as developer's counsel in connection with first Top Golf location in Indiana.
- Assisted with the acquisition, financing and sale of multifamily projects in Texas.
- Represented a prominent national developer and property owner in connection with obtaining multiple loans exceeding $250,000,000 in the aggregate, which loans were secured by portions of a significant regional lifestyle center and mixed-use development located in Westlake, Ohio.
- Represented a regional developer in the re-financing of an over $100,000,000 loan on a shopping center.
Speeches and Publications
- “Purchase and Sale Agreements,” International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Conference, March 2018
- “Purchase and Sale Agreements,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, December 2017
- “Purchases and Sale Agreements,” Indiana State bar Association, October 2017
- “Ask and You Shall (SHOULD) Receive – Overlooked Frequently Negotiated Provisions in Loan Documents,” ICSC Conference - OH, KY, IN, MI, PA Retail Development & Law Symposium, March 3, 2017
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis
Board Member (1996 - present)
Past Vice President (2018)