Don focuses his practice on state and local tax matters, tax issues involving non-profit organizations, tax controversies (federal, state, and local), and on public agency law. As a public agency lawyer, Don both represents public agency clients and represents other clients before public agencies. Don has been able to draw upon 25 years of experience as a public official and as an attorney and financial manager to the benefit of his clients. He is admitted to practice before Ohio courts as well as the Supreme Court of the United States, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Internal Revenue Service. He is also a director of Focused Capitol Solutions LLC, a business affiliate of the law firm of Taft, which provides governmental relations and public policy services at its offices in Cincinnati and Columbus. In this role, Don represents clients before Ohio state government agencies and the Ohio General Assembly.
In 1993, Don began his eight years of service in the Ohio House of Representatives, where he represented part of Dayton and several suburban communities in Montgomery County. While in the state legislature, he chaired the House Ways and Means and Joint Agency Rule Review Committees and served on the Finance and Insurance Committees. He previously served in various positions for the Montgomery County Commissioners and County Auditor’s Office. Don began his career in public service as a member of the West Carrollton Board of Education, a position he held for 12 years.
Prior to being admitted to the Ohio Bar in 1991, Don served as a financial manager with NCR Corporation for over 10 years, culminating in his appointment as Treasurer of NCR Credit Corporation (an equipment financing/leasing subsidiary).
Don holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science, magna cum laude, and a Master of Science degree in economics from Wright State University. He received his Juris Doctor degree from the Salmon P. Chase College of Law at Northern Kentucky University, finishing first in his graduating class. Don also received a Certificate in Employee Benefits Taxation from Capital University’s graduate law program. He is an active member of the Taxation Committees of the Ohio State Bar Association (where he is the former chair of the Taxation Committee and is the former chair of the Subcommittee on Municipal Income Taxation) and of the Ohio Chamber of Commerce. He is a frequent presenter on Ohio tax issues, including sales and use tax and municipal income tax. For many years, Don has been a keynote speaker and member of the planning committee for the MEC Annual Ohio Tax Conference, the largest business tax conference in the nation.
Don works in the Columbus office and resides in Worthington, Ohio.
All Service Areas
- Salmon P. Chase College of Law - Northern Kentucky University (1991)
- Wright State University (1976)
- Wright State University (1975)
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
- State - Ohio
- Federal - U.S. Tax Court
- Ohio State Bar Association Past Chair and Member, Taxation Committee; Past Chair, Municipal Income Taxation Subcommittee
- Ohio Tax Conference Keynote Speaker; Planning Committee Member
- 61st Annual Cleveland Tax Institute 2018
- Gambling Impact Review Commission
Past Member and Chairman
- Ohio Chamber of Commerce Member, Taxation and Public Expenditure Committee
- Ohio House of Representatives Member 1993-2000
- Franklin County Republican Party Central Committee Member
- Leadership Worthington
- Worthington Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association Member
- Dublin-Worthington Rotary Club
Member and Community Service Chair