Ivan H. Golden
- E firstname.lastname@example.org
- T (312) 840-4488
- F (312) 668-8922
Ivan works with private companies on a wide range of business and tax matters. He is experienced in corporate, partnership, and individual income tax matters, and he helps businesses and their owners plan and execute significant transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, investments, sales, exchanges, and reorganizations. In addition, he advises businesses on federal, state, and international tax matters, and he creates business succession plans for private businesses and their owners.
Ivan's practice extends to tax controversies, and he has significant experience representing businesses and individuals in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service, the Illinois Department of Revenue, and other state tax authorities. He represents clients before the United States Tax Court, the United States Court of Federal Claims, the IRS Office of Appeals, the Illinois Tax Tribunal, and the Illinois Board of Appeals. Ivan also helps clients with undisclosed income or assets navigate the IRS's voluntary disclosure program and state voluntary disclosure programs.
Ivan has worked with several public charities and private foundations to help them obtain and maintain tax-exempt status, and he has advised tax-exempt organizations on tax and governance issues unique to the nonprofit sector.
Ivan received his B.A. from the University of Missouri, his J.D. from Chicago-Kent College of Law, and an LL.M. in Taxation, with honors, from New York University School of Law. Before entering private practice, Ivan served as a law clerk to Judge L. Paige Marvel of the United States Tax Court.
Emerging Lawyer Honoree, Leading Lawyers (2016 - 2017)
All Service Areas
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (2008)
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation (2009)
- University of Missouri (2001)
- State - Illinois
- Federal - U.S. Tax Court
- Federal - U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Speeches and Publications
- Speaker, "Partnership Liquidations: Tax Increments You Need to Know," Illinois CPA Society Advanced Topis in Flow-Through Taxation Conference (December 2018)
- Author, "Employer-Sponsored Charities Can Help Employees Affected by Recent Disasters," Accounting Today, (November 2017)
- Author, "Panama Papers Highlight Taxpayer's Risk," Accounting Today, (May 2016)
Taft Acts as Legal Counsel to Elgin Industries in New Investment By Main Street Capital Corporation
- American Bar Association Section of Taxation
- Chicago Tax Club
- North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic