Ernie is a partner in the Real Estate, Construction, Commercial Litigation and Employee Benefits practice groups. He is an accomplished trial lawyer with 30 years of experience as lead counsel in jury trials, court trials and arbitrations in multiple jurisdictions across the country. He also serves as general counsel to all types of businesses including construction contractors, real estate developers, manufacturers and multi-employer benefit plans. As general counsel, he advises businesses in all aspects of their business operations and manages a team of lawyers who provide legal services tailored to meet the client’s unique needs.
Ernie received his J.D. from William Mitchell College of Law and his undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota.
Honoree, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- William Mitchell College of Law (1990)
- University of Minnesota (1987)
bachelor of arts
- State - Minnesota
- State - North Dakota
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Counsel for general contractors and subcontractors in negotiating, drafting and implementing general construction contracts and engineering, procurement and construction contracts for numerous types of commercial and industrial projects, including power plants, alternative energy production plants, and waste water treatment facilities.
- General counsel to multi-employer benefit plans and related entities.
- Counsel for contractors in all aspects of mechanic’s lien litigation.
- Defense and prosecution in all types of shareholder disputes.
- Veil piercing and alter ego litigation.
- Commercial, industrial and residential real estate transactions.
- Successfully prosecuted claims against multiple local municipalities on behalf of developers attempting to develop real property into commercial and residential real estate developments.
- Successfully prosecuted claims against municipalities in concurrent annexation and detachment proceedings.
- Multi-million dollar recoveries for contractors in construction contract disputes related to design defects, change orders and related contract issues.
- Successfully defended numerous mortgage lenders in lawsuits wherein borrowers have attempted to avoid foreclosure under the “show me the note” defense.
- Numerous defense verdicts for contractors in all types of commercial and industrial construction defect claims.
- Successful prosecution of multiple alter ego claims and lawsuits.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
Member, Civil Litigation and Construction Law Sections
- Minnesota Chapter of the Association of General Contractors