Liz’s practice focuses on intellectual property matters with an emphasis on patent infringement litigation in federal district court and patent prosecution. She also practices before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in appeals in patent applications, reexamination, Inter Partes Review (IPR), and Post Grant Review (PGR) proceedings.
Liz is a registered patent attorney with over 20 years of experience. Her experience spans many technical disciplines, including medical device arts, mechanical, software, computer, automotive, and agriculture equipment. Example devices include medical devices, drug delivery devices, bioabsorbable stents, catheters, inflatable catheters for drug delivery, catheter hubs, biosensors, orthopedic implants, child safety seats, seat belt restraints, fasteners, fastening devices, towing equipment, gaskets, agricultural equipment, internal combustion engines, cosmetic applicators, cabinets, and food packaging.
In addition to patent litigation, a significant portion of Liz’s practice involves helping clients implement strategies to protect their intellectual property and grow their intellectual property portfolios. Liz has experience preparing and rendering oral and written patentability, freedom to practice, non-infringement and validity opinions, as well as conducting intellectual property due diligence investigations and audits of usage and ownership. In addition to preparing and facilitating the ongoing prosecution of U.S. patent applications, she has coordinated the filing and prosecution of PCT and national stage foreign patent applications.
She is a founding member of the Indianapolis Chiefs in Intellectual Property (ChIPs) chapter and serves as co-chair of the Indianapolis chapter. Liz is the former chair of the Intellectual Property Section of the Indiana State Bar Association, co-founder of Indy Attorneys Network section of the Indianapolis Bar Association, and serves on the Innovation and Research Council of the Indianapolis Bar Association. She is recognized by Best Lawyers in America®, Distinguished Fellow of the Indianapolis Bar Association, and has twice received the President’s Award for Service Honoree of the Indianapolis Bar Association.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Trademark Law, Patent Law (2021 – present)
Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation
President’s Award for Service Honoree, Indianapolis Bar Association (2012, 2017)
Participant, Indianapolis Bar Leader Series (Class X, 2012-2013)
Participant, Leadership Development Academy (Class IV, 2015)
All Service Areas
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (2003)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (M.S. with honors, Civil Engineering) (1994)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.S. with honors, Civil Engineering) (1993)
- Federal - United States Patent and Trademark Office
- State - Indiana
- Federal - Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
Speeches and Publications
- Panelist, “International IP,” IndyBar CLE Webinar, Oct. 3, 2023.
- Co-presenter, “Intellectual Property Overview,” Dec. 14, 2022.
- Panelist, “Career Insights for Aspiring Female IP Attorneys,” Indianapolis Bar Association, Sept. 30, 2021.
- Moderator, “Do Something Hard 2021,” ChIPs Network seminar, Feb. 24, 2021.
- Indianapolis Bar Association
Member, Executive Committee, Professionalism Committee (2018 – present)
Member, Innovation and Research Council (2018 – present)
Former Member, Executive Committee, Indy Attorneys Network Section (2014 – 2017)
Former Co-Chair and Co-Founder, Indy Attorneys Network Section (2013)
- Indiana State Bar Association
Former Member, Mentor for Mentor Match (2016)
Former Chair, Intellectual Property Section (2014)
Past Presenter, CLE Presentation “Duty to Disclose & Inequitable Conduct” (2010)
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
Member, National and Indianapolis Chapter
- ChIPs Network
Member, Indiana ChIPs Planning Committee
Member, Indiana ChIPs Committee for Social Justice