Eli is a partner in Taft’s Immigration practice group. A highly-respected leader in U.S. immigration matters, Eli has more than 30 years of experience and offers the highest level of immigration and mobility expertise. Employers turn to Eli for all of their immigration needs, both for the U.S. and outbound internationally. He is primarily engaged in investment-based and employment-based business immigration matters.
Eli has a unique ability to comprehensively identify and respond to his clients’ needs in diverse industries, from engineering, manufacturing, and finance to symphony orchestras and athletics. He has represented companies and their foreign nationals from across the globe and develops intricate strategies and immigration plans that he communicates in easily understandable language.
Eli relies on his wealth of experience to identify the best immigration options available and for bringing creative solutions to the table when none are apparent. His strong background and understanding of business and financial matters stems from a solid foundation and practical legal experience in the areas of business formation, contractual agreements, finance and accounting, and other related fields. Eli is a frequent author and speaker as well as a member of several industry and bar associations, both in Michigan and nationally.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2014 – present)
Honoree, Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” (2019)
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers (2006 – present)
Member Martindale Hubbell® Rated “AV” (Most Prestigious Rating)
Honoree, DBusiness Top Lawyers (2012— 2019, 2021-present)
All Service Areas
- Wayne State University Law School
- University of Michigan
B.S. with Distinction
- State - Michigan
- H-1B professionals (specialty occupations), taking on challenging situations and delivering a consistently high rate of approvals.
- Blanket-L pre-approval for qualifying companies; also individual L blanket transfers between multinational corporate entities.
- E-2 Treaty-based investor and trader visas.
- EB-5 investor green cards.
- O-1 extraordinary ability visas, successfully having represented engineers, scientists, and athletes (a variety of Olympic ice skaters, international soccer players, ballroom dancers, and coaches in all fields).
- Expertise with government compliance matters such as I-9 issues and Homeland Security audits.
Speeches and Publications
- Author, “The H-1B Visa Process Is Getting Easier – And Tougher,” Industry Week (2021)
- Author, Article on EB-5 Investment as Source of Funding, “Franchise Lawyer” publication of the American Bar Association
- Presenter on Family-Based Immigration, AILA National Conference in Nashville (2012)
- Presenter, “U.S. Admission of Business Travelers,” AILA National Conference in San Diego (2011)
- Presenter on Nonimmigrant Visas, AILA National Conference in Vancouver (2008)
- Presenter on Immigration Fundamentals, AILA Conference (2007)
- Panelist for an H-1B Issues Debate, ABC Television’s “Spotlight on the News”
- Co-chair of AILA Michigan-Ohio Fall Conference (2014)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
Co-Chair/Member, U.S. Customs and Border Protection Committee (Michigan), 2015 – 2022
Member, National Finance Committee, 2010 – 2011, 2014 – 2017, 2021 – 2023
Former Member, U.S. Labor Department Liaison Committee
- AILA Michigan Chapter
Chairman, 2009 – 2011
Vice-Chair, 2008 – 2009
Chairman, Media Committee, 2004 – 2006
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
Chairman, Immigration and International Law Committee, 1985 – 1989, 1993 – 1994
- American Cancer Society
Vice President, Southfield, Michigan Chapter, 1988 – 1990