David H. Patrick
David is of counsel in Taft's Environmental practice group and is licensed in Connecticut and Washington, D.C. He has nearly 40 years of experience working in legal and non-legal roles in the consumer products industry. Over the course of his career, David has developed extensive experience before local, state, and federal environmental and food regulatory agencies regarding permit drafting, negotiating and resolving compliance matters, and resolving commercial disputes.
David’s practice focuses on matters where business activities meet with governmental regulation. He counsels clients in supply chain related matters with a focus on environmental, health and safety compliance matters, compliance with food and drug regulations, sustainability initiatives, and environmental considerations in commercial real estate and M&A transactions. David is able to provide practical advice and actionable solutions.
Before joining Taft, David’s practice consisted of supporting the manufacturing, engineering, transportation, quality, warehousing, and environmental sustainability functions with an emphasis on environmental, health and safety compliance, and EHS considerations of transactional work for a Fortune 50 manufacturing company.
Prior to his legal career, David spent over 11 years in a global regulatory compliance position with a Fortune 50 global manufacturing company where he developed environmental, health and safety compliance programs, lobbied with foreign governments for the approval of novel food packaging, and served as a member of the organization’s crisis management team.
David started his professional career as an instrumental chemist with an emphasis on methods development and ingredient characterization work using gas chromatography, liquid chromatography, and FTIR. He also developed analytical procedures for quantitating active ingredients in hair care products, fixatives, and the company’s drug product businesses.
Admitted in Connecticut and the District of Columbia only.
All Service Areas
- Pace University School of Law (1989)
- Sacred Heart University (1983)
- State - District of Columbia
- State - Connecticut
- Provided environmental counsel on several multi-million dollar real estate purchases and sales with environmental impacts. Guided client through voluntary clean-up programs to meet transaction deadlines.
- Represented client in mediation proceedings to resolve significant post-closing environmental liabilities and violations in an acquisition of a new business line.
- Successfully represented Fortune 50 company against alleged criminal environmental violations of the Clean Water Act resulting in no charges.
- Coordinated environmental due diligence on a multi-million dollar acquisition of a beverage manufacturing business in Mexico.
- Counseled client and managed portfolio of environmental remediation projects with a budget in excess of $150MM.
- Counseled clients on wastewater permit renewals and modifications to accommodate changes in the business and to meet water conservation goals.
- Counseled clients on the applicability of NFPA, OSHA, and EPA considerations to the construction of flammable liquid storage rooms.
- Successfully defended Fortune 50 company against several OSHA “Repeat-Serious” alleged violations resulting in the Citations being withdrawn.
- Represented and negotiated for client in alleged product tampering cases with FDA’s Office of Criminal Investigations (OCI). Client was vindicated and cooperated with OCI in the successful prosecution of dozens of criminal cases for false tampering claims.
- Represented clients in numerous firm initiated product recalls and dozens of market withdrawal actions.
Patrick Joins Taft’s Environmental Practice Group