Dan is a partner in the Real Estate practice group. He is certified as a real property law specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association.
Dan practices principally in the areas of:
- Commercial real estate acquisitions and dispositions
- Real estate development
- Commercial leasing
- Commercial real estate finance
- Title examination and insurance
- Easements, declarations and restrictive covenants
Dan concentrates a significant portion of his practice on representing corporate clients, developers and investment funds in the acquisition, financing, development and sale of large-scale projects located throughout the country, including class A office, retail, industrial, residential, and mixed-use sites. He assists clients with all aspects of a transaction, from negotiating and drafting purchase and sale documents, addressing title and survey issues prior to acquisition, negotiating and documenting financing before, during and following construction, to handling development and land use issues.
Dan also has significant experience representing borrowers in the securing of financing for office, condo and apartment buildings, industrial complexes, and retail and mixed-use developments; and negotiating and documenting a multitude of loan types, including acquisition, construction and permanent financing.
In the area of commercial leasing, Dan works with both landlords and tenants on a variety of landlord/tenant documentation, drafting and negotiating leases, subleases, assignments, guarantees and letters of credit.
Dan also drafts and negotiates easements, declarations, restrictive covenants, property management agreements, listing agreements and other real estate-related documents for clients.
In the community, Dan volunteers his legal skills to a large, local nonprofit organization that provides affordable housing to low-income families. He provides counsel on the negotiation and drafting of purchase agreements, municipal agreements, development agreements, restrictive covenants and easements, and resolving title matters.
Dan has also been a part of the Volunteer Lawyers Network Housing Court Project, offering advice to parties with matters before the Hennepin County Housing Court.
Honoree, Minnesota Super Lawyers Rising Star (2010-2017)
All Service Areas
- University of Minnesota Law School (2005)
J.D., cum laude
- University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management (2005)
M.B.A., Beta Gamma Sigma
- University of Wisconsin (2000)
- State - Minnesota
For Acquisition and Financing matters, Dan represented:
- Fortune 100 company in a land acquisition and exchange transaction for the construction of a manufacturing and distribution facility.
- National real estate investment fund in the acquisition and construction and permanent financing of New Jersey corporate headquarters building of international manufacturer, including negotiations with prior lender and land condominium documentation.
- National real estate investment fund in the portfolio acquisition of stabilized office buildings.
- Self-storage operator in acquisition of development sites.
- Manufacturing company in acquisition of site for new production facility.
- National real estate investment fund in the land acquisition and construction financing of downtown apartment tower development.
- National real estate investment fund and developer in the acquisition, development and financing—including the drafting of utility, cell tower, sign, right of way, and access easements and governance declarations—of sites to be developed as a more than two million rentable square foot industrial development in Tennessee and a 38-acre mixed use development in Georgia.
- National real estate investment fund in the acquisition and financing of four office buildings located in Georgia and Ohio, including the transfer of tax-exempt bond financing.
- National real estate investment fund in the acquisition and financing of a 474-acre mixed use development in California.
- National real estate investment fund in the acquisition and construction financing of build-to-suit office building in Colorado.
- Private real estate fund in the $79 million acquisition and financing of eleven-building Michigan industrial portfolio.
- Private real estate fund in the acquisition and financing of a five-building Iowa industrial portfolio.
- Utility company in the acquisition of wind generation facilities, including due diligence of easement and property rights.
For Sales matters, Dan represented:
- Napa Valley winemaker in the sale of prime AVA vineyards and wine making facilities.
- National real estate investment fund in the $107 million portfolio sale of eight industrial properties located in six states.
- Aircraft hangar owner in sale of aircraft hangar and ground lease rights.
- Municipal economic development authority in the sale of land and development of improvements for a federal government facility.
- Commercial property owners in sales of restaurant properties.
- Shopping center developer in sale of pad sites.
- Publicly traded financial services company in the $26 million sale of a downtown office tower and related leaseback.
For Development matters, Dan represented:
- Developer in the acquisition and development of mixed use residential and retail complex, including municipal development and financing agreements, private construction financing, and construction, parking, infrastructure and public space easements.
- National shopping center developer in the acquisition, assembly, rezoning and subdivision, construction, financing, leasing and sale of lifestyle shopping center.
- National real estate investment fund in the multi-party negotiation and documentation regarding sale of business park property, including subdivision, amendment to land condominium regime and sale of development property to high-density luxury residential developer.
- Municipalities and economic development authorities in the negotiation and drafting of public financing development agreements, land sales and easement declarations.
- Prominent Minnesota non-profit in the development and sale to qualified buyers of residential townhome units, including negotiations with the city and adjacent landowners regarding shared amenities and obligations.
- International wind farm development company in the development and financing of wind farm developments in Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana and North Dakota.
For Leasing matters, Dan represented:
- Landlord of office building for build to suit corporate headquarters.
- Landlord of industrial properties in sale/leaseback transactions.
- Landlord shopping center owner in negotiation and drafting of retail leases for shop and big box retail stores.
- Landlord of medical office buildings with negotiation and drafting of medical office and laboratory leases.
- Landlord of downtown and suburban office towers and buildings with negotiation and drafting of office leases.
- Tenant health care services company with negotiation and drafting of nationwide office and industrial leases.
- Tenant specialty industrial contractor with negotiation and drafting of site specific industrial leases.
- Tenant international financial services firm with negotiation and drafting of office tower lease.
- Tenant medical and dental professionals with negotiation and drafting of medical office leases.
- Tenant franchisee with negotiation and drafting of retail center leases.
For Real Estate Finance – Lender matters, Dan represented:
- Lender in the acquisition and financing of hotel development.
- Lender in the leasing and sale of bank-owned properties, including negotiation of easements and counseling regarding subdivision and statutory sale restriction matters.
- Lender in the financing of an assisted living center and related renegotiation of ground lease.
- Investment note purchaser in deed in lieu acquisition of hotel property.
- Commercial property owners in 1031 Exchanges.
- Shopping center owner in negotiation and drafting of shopping center reciprocal easement and operating agreement.
- Lakefront property owners in reconfiguration of easements and access rights.
- Fortune 100 company in negotiation and drafting of required access easement for shipping terminal.
- Investment firm in negotiation and drafting of hotel management agreements.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- Hennepin County Housing Court Project (HCP)
Volunteer Lawyers Network