Rocky maintains an active litigation practice, representing clients in all aspects of civil litigation.Over the course of his illustrious career, he has acted as principal litigation counsel in numerous complex litigation cases, including serving as principal outside Ohio special counsel for the State of Ohio in the national tobacco litigation. He has appeared in numerous jury trials and has appeared before the Ohio Supreme Court, Ohio Courts of Appeals, and the Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals. According to Chambers USA, who interviews clients for feedback, Rocky is held in high regard “for his political acumen, especially in election law-related and complex civil litigation.” Rocky has a long affiliation with the political scene in Ohio, having served four terms in the Ohio House of Representatives. He provides counsel to elected officials, political party organizations and candidates on election, campaign finance and public ethics law.
Other Professional Experience
- U.S. Marine Corps, infantry platoon commander with the First Marine Division in the Republic of Vietnam and was discharged with the rank of Captain
- Elected to the Ohio House of Representatives in 1974 where he served four terms
- Republican nominee for Ohio Attorney General in 1982
Honoree, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Government Relations Law, Bet-The-Company Litigation, Arbitration, Mediation (1995 - present)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers, General Litigation (2004 - present)
"Top 50 Super Lawyers" Honoree, Super Lawyers (2012)
Local Litigation Star Honoree, Ohio Benchmark Litigation, General Commercial Litigation
Distinguished Service Award Honoree, Ohio State Bar Association
AV Peer Review Rated (Preeminent), Martindale-Hubbell
All Service Areas
- The Ohio State University College of Law (1975)
- Southern Methodist University (1969)
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
- State - Ohio
- Served as principal outside Ohio special counsel for the State of Ohio in the “national tobacco litigation,” contributing significantly to the record setting $10 billion settlement for the State of Ohio.
- Has been the principal litigation counsel in numerous complex litigations, including numerous jury trials and has appeared before Ohio Supreme Court, Ohio Courts of Appeals, and the Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.
- Provided counsel to elected officials, political party organizations and candidates on election, campaign finance and public ethics law.
- Frequent mediator assigned by the Federal Court for the Southern District of Ohio, providing expert testimony in the areas of attorneys’ fees and malpractice.
- Serves as legislative counsel for the Ohio Association of Municipal and County Judges.
- American Bar Association Member
- Champaign County Bar Association Member
- Columbus Bar Association Member
- Ohio State Bar Association Member
- American Legion Member
- Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite 33°
- Bexley Library Board Past President
- Central State University Past Trustee
- Columbus College of Art and Design Past Chairman
- Greater Columbus Arts Council Past Chairman
- Mechanicsburg Lodge #113 F&AM Past Master
- Scioto Valley Rugby Football Club Member, Hall of Fame
- Vietnam Veterans of America Member