Britt M. Gilbertson
- E email@example.com
- T (612) 977-8869
- F (612) 977-8650
Britt Gilbertson leads Taft's Employment and Labor Relations practice group for the Minneapolis office. She helps companies navigate legal issues, manage risk, and defend against claims arising out of employment relationships. She practices principally in the areas of:
- Employment litigation
- Employment counseling
- Restrictive covenants
- Internal investigations
Britt has successfully tried cases to verdict in courtrooms across the country. She aggressively defends clients in disputes alleging complex violations of employment statutes and contracts, and prides herself on her thoughtful and highly strategic approach to resolving conflicts, either through litigation or favorable dispute resolution.
When employers face time-sensitive and high-stakes situations, Britt is adept at helping them manage risk and make tactical decisions. On a daily basis she counsels clients regarding a variety of workplace issues, such as hiring, discipline, discharge, workforce restructuring, accommodations and wage-and-hour compliance. Additionally, Britt is a member of Taft’s COVID-19 Evolving Workplace Task Force and regularly advises clients on employment-related issues surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets
In addition, Britt frequently represents clients in disputes involving trade-secret misappropriation as well as post-employment covenants, such as non-competition and non-solicitation clauses. She assists clients in drafting all manner of employment contracts, including those with restrictive covenants.
Britt also helps companies conduct internal investigations. In so doing, she works with clients through every step of the process, from identifying the need for an investigation through managing its outcome.
Previously, Britt was a clerk for the Hon. Thomas J. Kalitowski, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
Labor & Employment Star Honoree, Benchmark Litigation (2023)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, Litigation - Labor and Employment
(2022 - 2023)
Honoree, Minnesota Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Honoree, TCB 100: People to Know in 2020, Twin Cities Business
Honoree, Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer
- University of Minnesota Law School (2005)
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Augsburg College (2002)
B.A., with honors
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Successfully obtained judgment as a matter of law following presentation of plaintiff’s case at a jury trial in anti-competition case with claims including breach of contract, tortious interference, deceptive trade practices, misappropriation of trade secrets, false advertising, and product disparagement.
- Successful jury trial: won jury verdict in favor of international food company and obtained a $90,000 judgment against plaintiff in employment discrimination and retaliation lawsuit.
- Successful jury trial: jury verdict in favor of employer-defendant on contract claim.
- Obtained summary judgment for client dismissing whistleblower lawsuit.
- Obtained early dismissal of suit alleging claims of tortious interference with employment agreement and defamation against management employees.
- Obtained summary judgment of a lawsuit alleging failure to accommodate and direct discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Obtained summary judgment of a pregnancy discrimination lawsuit and secured dismissal of the case at both the district court and the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Defended employer against claims for disability discrimination, sexual harassment, reprisal and marital status discrimination in violation of the Minnesota Human Rights Act.
- Defended employer against claims for sex-plus discrimination, reprisal and marital status discrimination.
- Defended philanthropic organization against former employee's allegations that he was wrongfully discharged in violation of the parties' lifetime employment agreement.
- Successfully enforced non-compete agreement against former employee and his new employer.
- Successfully enforced non-compete and confidentiality covenants against departing sales employee.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of employer in FMLA case.
- Prepared and presented training to client human resources departments on discipline and discharge practices and compliance with employment statutes.
- Responded to and obtained dismissal of numerous administrative charges alleging retaliation discrimination based on race, gender, national origin and criminal record.
- Successfully enforced a confidentiality provision against a terminated employee who set up a competing business.
- Defended family-owned LLC against departing member's claims seeking buy-out or company dissolution.
- Defended beverage company against former manager's claims of age and disability discrimination and retaliation under the Iowa Civil Rights Act and discrimination and retaliation under the FMLA.
- Defended salesperson against sexual harassment and assault claims.
Benchmark Litigation Names Taft "Highly Recommended Firm;" Recognizes Taft Litigation Attorneys in Indiana, Minnesota, and Ohio
Two Hundred and Forty-Three Taft Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® 2023
232 Taft Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® 2022
Nine Taft Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Minnesota Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2020
- Minnesota Women Lawyers