Ashley Bennett Ewald
Ashley is an experienced intellectual property litigator and trademark and copyright prosecutor who has been repeatedly recognized by the World Trademark Review as a leader in her field. She focuses her practice on trademark and copyright litigation, prosecution, and portfolio management and provides legal counsel on advertising and social media law. Ashley frequently advises clients on the selection, clearance, and registration of trademarks and copyrights both domestically and internationally and develops brand strategy, intellectual property enforcement, and social media plans for a diverse range of clients, from small startups to large multinational corporations
Ashley has significant experience as a litigator representing clients in state and federal courts nationwide, primarily in cases related to trademark and copyright infringement, false advertising, trade dress, and unfair competition, with a particular focus on franchisors. She also handles trademark opposition and cancellation actions before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and has obtained numerous transfer decisions in Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution (UDRP) proceedings. Additionally, Ashley serves as the chief IP counsel for a growing international franchisor with a complex intellectual property portfolio.
In an advisory role for tech startups, Ashley acts as a liaison between entrepreneurs and corporate attorneys, providing guidance on a range of matters related to social media policy and intellectual property law. She frequently advises tech startups on the selection, clearance, and registration of trademarks and copyrights, as well as negotiates and drafts agreements such as vendor agreements and statements of work. Drawing from her personal experience starting small businesses with her husband, Ashley provides practical advice to give her clients a solid foundation on which to grow their businesses and ensures their best interests are being looked after.
Honoree, "Notable Intellectual Property Attorney," Twin Cities Business (2023)
Honoree, "Leading Trademark Lawyer," World Trademark Review (2016 - present)
Honoree, "Global Leader," World Trademark Review (2022)
Honoree, Minnesota Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2015 - 2021)
North Star Lawyers, Minnesota State Bar Association (2013 - 2015)
All Service Areas
- University of Minnesota Law School
J.D., cum laude
- Hamline University
B.A., magna cum laude
International Studies and Spanish, Certificate in International Journalism
Phi Beta Kappa
- State - Minnesota
- State - California
Speeches and Publications
- “Pre-Launch Brand Selection and Planning,” 2019 Midwest IP Law Association Stampede, April 23, 2019.
- Co-presenter, "To Tweet or Not to Tweet (or Post or Snap or Gram),"Midwest IP Institute Seminar, Sept. 27, 2018.
- Co-presenter, “Top Tips for Protecting Your IP in (and from) Social Media,” MIPLA Stampede, Minnesota IP Law Association, May 9, 2017.
- Co-presenter, "Top Legal Issues in Mobile App Development," MobCon, Minneapolis, MN, November 18, 2015.
- “Social Media Takedown Strategies,” 2015 Midwest IP Institute, Minneapolis, MN, Sept. 18, 2015.
- “Safely Navigate the Social Media Landscape,” Minnesota Professional Insurance Agents (PIA)’s Annual Education Day, Prior Lake, MN, Sept. 10, 2015.
- “Trademark Basics,” American Intellectual Property Law Association’s (AIPLA) Trademark Boot Camp, Alexandria, Virginia, June 4, 2015.
- “Social Media Law 101 for Business Owners and Insurance Providers,” Twin Cities Insurance Club, March 9, 2015.
- “Avoiding the Legal Landmines of Mobile Apps,” MobCon 2014 Conference, Nov. 13, 2014.
- “The Legalities of Social Media on Public Sector Websites,” Fredrickson Communications Intersect Group, Nov. 12, 2014.
- “Setting Up Camp: 10 Things You Must Do to Create a Successful Startup,” That Conference, Wisconsin Dells, WI, Aug. 13, 2014.
- Co-presenter, “Legal Topics for the PR Practitioner—Social Media, Privacy and More,” Public Relations Society of America, Minnesota Chapter, June 24, 2014.
- Co-author, “Legal Guide to the Use of Social Media in the Workplace,” Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development, June 2013.
- Co-author, “Case Study: Rosetta Stone v. Google,” Law360, May 22, 2012.
- Co-author, “The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Implications on Systems, Franchisees,” Franchising World, April 2009.
- International Trademark Association
- ChIPs Network
- Midwest IP Institute
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Children's Law Center
- Minnesota Business Magazine
Community Impact Awards, Judge (2015)