Trent is a former federal prosecutor who has tried more than 30 cases to verdict; has defended dozens of high-profile subjects and targets in government investigations and enforcement actions; has conducted hundreds of investigations; and has planned, prepared, executed, and continuously assessed cutting-edge compliance programs for businesses ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies.
Trent, also an Army Reserve JAG Corps lieutenant colonel and Operation Enduring Freedom veteran, combines deep government experience and an international perspective with more than a dozen years of advising private sector clients in high-stakes matters to offer innovative, practical, and cost-effective solutions in four interrelated areas:
- Corporate Compliance
- Internal Investigations
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Commercial Litigation
In implementing solutions in these four areas, Trent makes a simple but powerful commitment to clients – achieve outstanding results and provide unparalleled service at value-based prices. He is passionate about helping clients accomplish their legal and business objectives and making the corporate counsel, compliance officers, and other legal and compliance professionals he works with shine in their roles.
Trent is a graduate of Harvard College, Notre Dame Law School, and the University of Chicago. His awards include Rising Star in business litigation (Law & Politics Magazine, 2008) and white collar criminal defense (Law & Politics Magazine, 2009-2015); Future Star in litigation (Benchmark Litigation, 2009); The Best Lawyers in America in commercial litigation (Best Lawyers, 2016-present); Indy’s Best and Brightest Finalist (Junior Achievement); and Indianapolis Forty Under 40 (Indianapolis Business Journal). Trent has presented at countless legal and compliance seminars in the US, Africa, and Europe.
Trent is the Deputy Commander of the Army Reserve’s 16th Legal Operations Detachment (Trial Defense) at Ft. Hamilton, N.Y. He also is active in pro bono matters, currently serving as pro bono counsel to HVAF of Indiana, which provides housing and supportive services to homeless veterans, and as the pro bono Town Attorney for the Town of Williams Creek, Ind. He also serves on the board of Special Olympics Indiana. Trent is a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion.
All Service Areas
- University of Notre Dame Law School (2001)
- University of Chicago, M.A. in International Relations (2004)
- Concannon Programme of International Law, Notre Dame London Law Centre, London, United Kingdom (2000)
- Harvard University, B.A., cum laude, in Government (1998)
- Federal - Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- State - Indiana
Trent has planned, prepared, executed, and assessed compliance programs for some of the world’s largest multinational corporations; has built cutting-edge, cloud-based third-party due diligence platforms (Taft TTP) for clients with third-parties that operate in high-corruption risk locations; has completed anti-corruption due diligence on thousands of third-parties from nearly every country in the world; has conducted hundreds of investigations; has defended numerous senior government officials against allegations of official misconduct; and has tried over thirty cases to verdict.
Recent representative anti-corruption, other corporate compliance, internal investigations, and white collar criminal defense matters include:
- Conducted anti-corruption risk assessments and planned and executed anti-corruption compliance programs for a global extractives company, a multinational machinery manufacturer, a global healthcare company, a technology company with significant international operations, and several private equity and financial firms.
- Designed and executed customized third-party due diligence and counterparty screening programs with online platforms for a multinational energy corporation, a global medical device company, a multinational consumer goods corporation, and a global household goods company.
- Completed compliance-related due diligence of acquisition targets for several private equity firms and numerous companies.
- Provided in-person anti-corruption training to board directors, senior executives, and distributors in Europe and Africa for a multinational orthopedics company and a global industrial products manufacturer.
- Advised a multinational consumer goods company in connection with audit function compliance activities.
- Counseled a global investment firm regarding compliance issues associated with a joint venture in South America.
- Led an internal investigation regarding alleged employee conflicts of interest in India for an international consumer goods company.
- Conducted an internal investigation regarding financial fraud in China for a multinational household goods company.
- Conducted over ten investigations into alleged sexual misconduct in the workplace.
- Defended a senior business development executive at a global defense contractor in an investigation regarding alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and US export controls laws.
- Defended numerous senior U.S. Army officials against investigations and proceedings regarding alleged official misconduct.
Recent representative litigation matters include:
- Defended a multinational medical device company against more than 2,000 product liability actions in ongoing litigation in state and federal court (the federal matters are consolidated in multi-district litigation).
- Defended senior executives of a healthcare company in their personal capacities in patent litigation and product liability litigation.
- American Bar Association
- HVAF of Indiana
Member, Board of Directors
- Special Olympics Indiana
Member, Board of Directors
- American Legion
- Veterans of Foreign Wars