As a business attorney at Taft, Tim advises private and public companies as well as strategic and financial investors across a wide range of industries. Applying more than 20 years of experience to his clients' legal needs, Tim serves as outside general counsel in matters relating to venture capital, finance, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, private equity, corporate governance and risk management. His experience includes representation of clients in the manufacturing, renewable energy, healthcare, technology, food and aviation industries, among others.
Tim also advises clients on legal matters relating to privately-owned aircraft. This includes acquisitions, negotiations, operations, financing and regulatory matters.
Prior to joining Taft, Tim was a partner at one of the largest law firms in the country. He obtained his J.D. from Mitchell Hamline School of Law and his bachelor's degree from Saint John's University.
Honoree, Minnesota Super Lawyers
North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association
Private Equity Players Honoree, Twin Cities Business Journal
Martindale-Hubbell AV/Preeminent Peer Review Rating
All Service Areas
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law (1992)
- Saint John's University (1988)
Bachelor's degree in government
- Sophia University, Tokyo (1986)
Special studies program
- State - Minnesota
- Served as counsel for a water treatment company in the $168 million sale of a majority interest to an Upper Midwest energy company.
- Provided counsel for a global private equity firm affiliate in the $380 million sale of Dymatize, Inc. to a St. Louis-based company.
- Served as counsel for numerous middle-market, private equity firms and independent sponsors in the acquisitions of private companies with enterprise values ranging from $5 million to $300 million
- Represented multiple businesses including a food delivery startup and eCommerce company in preferred equity offerings.
- Served as counsel for a prominent ethanol company during its sale of a $225 million renewable energy source company.
- Served as counsel to an Upper Midwest energy company in the sale of a water treatment affiliate to a global water treatment company for $270 million.
Speeches and Publications
- "Exit Strategies: Liquidity For You and Your Investors," Annual Minnesota Venture & Finance Conference (Oct. 2014)
- "Splitting 'Heirs': Extracting Owners from Dysfunctional Family and Closely Held Businesses and Properties," Minnesota State Bar Association Annual Probate & Trust Law Section Conference (June 2012)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Business Law section member
- Hennepin County Bar Association