Sylvia focuses her practice on government procurement, government relations, land use and tax increment financing (TIF). Sylvia has extensive experience representing government contractors and bidders, as well as advising clients on government procurement and compliance regulations, laws and policies at the local, state and federal levels.
Sylvia handles a variety of matters relating to certification and participation of disadvantaged, minority and woman business enterprises (D/M/WBEs) in the government contracting process. She assists clients in preparing D/M/WBE certification applications, assessing certification eligibility and drafting appeals of certification eligibility decisions.
In addition, Sylvia has worked on behalf of clients in complex residential and commercial zoning matters throughout the City of Chicago, including appearing before the Chicago City Council Committee on Zoning, Chicago Plan Commission, the Chicago Zoning Board of Appeals and numerous city departments. Her work has involved a wide range of commercial and residential projects in the Chicagoland area, such as planned developments, special uses, tax increment financing, rezoning, licensing and miscellaneous government regulatory issues.
Prior to practicing real estate law, Sylvia spent several years working at a large U.S.-based bank, where she gained significant experience practicing in the areas of uniform commercial code and banking regulations.
All Service Areas
- DePaul University College of Law
- Illinois Wesleyan University
- State - Illinois
- Federal - U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Counseled a Fortune 500 company regarding D/M/WBE compliance nationwide.
- Represented government contractors in City of Chicago debarment proceedings, negotiating settlement agreements that avoided debarments and permitted the clients to keep their current contracts.
- Counseled a global communication, IT and security solutions company on various government relations issues.
- Obtained approvals for a planned development consisting of a mixed-use community of 494 residential units, 540,000 square feet of retail and commercial uses, and a 1.2-acre central plaza in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood.
- Obtained approvals for a planned development consisting of the redevelopment of a 300,000 square foot vacant building into a prominent automobile dealership and negotiated $8.5 million in tax increment financing.
- Obtained approvals for a planned development for a 67,370 square feet high school campus and a regulation soccer field on the city’s southwest side.
- Obtained approvals for a planned development for a 150,000 square feet retail shopping center and negotiated $6.8 million in tax increment financing.
- Obtained approvals for a planned development permitting the expansion of the City’s only manufactured home community.
- Obtained approvals for a planned development consisting of a mixed-use development with two residential high-rise towers, totaling 360 residential units and a nine-story base consisting of approximately 290,000 of retail square footage in Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood.
- Hellenic Bar Association of Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association Guardian Ad Litem Program 2002-2005
- Bank of Shorewood Director 2009-2011
- Lynn Sage Foundation
- Impact 100