Sam helps his clients expand, reorganize, buy, sell and liquidate. His practice is focused on clients in transition who need assistance in acquisitions, debt restructuring, refinancing, workouts and turnarounds.
Sam has represented both healthy and troubled companies and the individuals who own and are employed by them. These solutions have included sales inside and outside of bankruptcy, refinancing, workouts and Chapter 11 reorganizations, as well as compromises with state and local taxing authorities. His work in the insolvency area also includes representation of debtors, creditors, receivers, unsecured creditors’ committees and trustees in both federal and state courts. He also counsels individuals and companies in wealth protection strategies.
Sam represents municipalities and the organizations with which they do business. His experience includes general obligation bonds, tax increment financing bonds, private/public partnerships, utility rate adjustments, annexation, redevelopment grants and general regulatory matters.
Sam also represents companies before taxing authorities and regulatory agencies. His experience includes the defense of DEA initiated civil forfeitures, tax audits and tax collection.
Sam is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Indiana State Bar Association (2014-2015 Chair of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Committee) and the Indianapolis Bar Association. He is also the treasurer for the Indiana Association for Corporate Renewal. Sam is a frequent author and lecturer on financing and restructuring topics. He is admitted to state and federal courts in Indiana.
Sam currently serves as a director on the boards of Music for All, a national music advocacy organization based in Indianapolis, Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Central Indiana and the American Board of Certification. He has also advised, on a pro bono basis, Art With A Heart, Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church, Partners in Housing and Trusted Mentors. Sam has helped several not-for-profit organizations obtain 501(c)(3) status with the Internal Revenue Service. He regularly helps boards and board members of troubled organizations navigate their problems while protecting their officers and members.
Sam is recognized by Best Lawyers in America® for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization and was named the Indianapolis "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® in 2018 for Litigation - Banking and Finance in Indianapolis, 2017 for Litigation - Bankruptcy in Indianapolis and 2016 for Litigation and Controversy - Tax. He has also been named an Indiana Super Lawyer for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights. He has also earned an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
All Service Areas
- Indiana University - Robert H. McKinney School of Law (1986)
- Indiana University Kelley School of Business (M.B.A., Finance) (1990)
- Indiana University (B.A., Political Science) (1982)
- State - Indiana
- Federal - Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Member)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Member and chair of Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Section)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (Member)
- AV Peer Review Rating (LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell)
- American Board of Certification (Director )
- Indiana Association for Corporate Renewal (Treasurer)
- Indiana University (Adjunct Professor, Political Science Department)
- Music for All (Director)
- Trusted Mentors (Counsel)
- Art With A Heart (Counsel)
- Myers for Greenwood (Campaign Chair)
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters (Director)