Ryan is an associate in our Mergers and Acquisition, Private Equity, and Venture Capital and Emerging Companies practice groups. He focuses his practice on advising publicly held and privately owned companies and financial sponsors on a variety of transactional matters, including U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, minority and majority investments, joint ventures, and general corporate matters. He has advised on and managed transactions across a multitude of industries and jurisdictions from letter of intent to closing.
Prior to joining the firm, Ryan was a member of the Corporate & Securities practice group of a prominent international law firm based in Chicago.
Ryan was recognized as a Thomson Reuter Super Lawyer “Rising Star” in 2022 in the area of Mergers & Acquisitions.
Ryan is admitted to practice in the state of Michigan.
Recipient, SuperLawyers, Rising Star, 2022 (Top 2.5%)
All Service Areas
- Georgetown University Law Center
LL.M in M&A and International Taxation
- University of Detroit Mercy Law School
J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan
- State - Michigan
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Counsel to Synthomer plc (LON:SYNT.L), a world-leading supplier of high-performance, highly specialised chemicals, in connection with the stock sale of its $225 million laminates, films, and coated fabrics businesses to Sureteco North America, Inc.*
- Counsel to an NYSE listed leading energy infrastructure company in connection with its $120 million and $110 million stock acquisitions of two Texas-based onshore wind farms.*
- Counsel to Assured Guaranty Ltd. (NYSE: AGO), a leading provider of municipal bond insurance and other applications of financial guaranty insurance, in connection with the contribution of its entire equity interest in Assured Investment Management LLC and, with certain exceptions, its related asset management entities to Sound Point Capital Management, LP.*
- Counsel to ERIKS North America, a portfolio company of LKCM Headwater Investments, a leading distributor of fluid and material conveyance solutions for industrial customers, in its asset acquisition of DeeTag, Ltd. (DeeTag), a distributor and fabricator of hydraulic and industrial hose assemblies.*
- Counsel to a NYSE-listed company engaged in the provision of products and services to commercial aviation and government and defense industries, in connection with the sale of its entire manufacturing portfolio.*
- Counsel to Rosh Review, a national leading provider of online board exam preparation and continuing medical education solutions, in connection with its $100 million sale to Blueprint Education, a portfolio company of New Harbor Capital.
- Counsel to a multinational independent private equity sponsor focused on the operational and financial improvement of middle-market companies valued at over $600 million in the $115 million sale of a global service provider specializing in refractory furnace inspection, maintenance, repair of steel and glass producers.
- Counsel to national private equity sponsor in connection with various platform and add-on acquisition including a $48 million new platform asset acquisition of a national trace minerals and chemical company and a $42 million new platform stock acquisition of a premier environmental contracting corporation.
- Counsel to private equity platform company in various add-on acquisitions ranging from $5 million to $100 million in consideration in the medical device and components manufacturing and cutting tools manufacturing industries.
- Counsel to multinational disaster recovery and property restoration company with operations in Europe, Asia, and Australia in its $75 million asset acquisition of a waste management and construction dumpster franchise company with over 250+ franchises.
- Counsel to Wolters Kluwer (EURONEXT: WKL), a global leader in professional information, software solutions, and services for the healthcare, tax and accounting, financial and corporate compliance, legal and regulatory, and corporate performance in its asset acquisition of NurseTim, Inc., a US-based provider of nursing education solutions.*
- Counsel to multiple independent sponsors in connection with equity raises related to new platform acquisitions ranging in size from $1 million to $35 million.
- Counsel to national, Michigan-based innovative medical device company in its $19 million Series AA Preferred Stock financing.
- Counsel to biopharmaceutical, drug development, and platform technology company in its $22 million Series A Preferred Stock financing.
- Counsel to venture capital firm in its purchase of $45 million Series A convertible preferred shares of a software and technology company.
- Counsel to national designer and manufacturer of 3D whole breast ultrasound imaging systems in its $18 million Series D preferred stock offering.
Speeches and Publications
- Point of Intersection – Where Blockchain Meets Bankruptcy: Can the Ingenuity of Blockchain Restructure and Streamline the Bankruptcy Process?, 90 WAYNE L.J. BUSINESS L. 30, 2020
- The Quantification of Remedying Change: How the Proliferation of Autonomous Vehicles Will Change Michigan’s Current Insurance Regime, 35 W. MICH. U. THOMAS M. COOLEY L. REV. 2 2020
- Islamophobia in Modern-Day America: An Alternative Approach to the Supreme Court’s Decision to Uphold the Muslim Ban, 96 DET. MERCY L. REV. 2, 2019
- To Compete or Not to Compete: The Importance of Non-Competition Agreements in M&A Deals, Attorney At Law Magazine, July 29, 2022
- Cross-Border M&A Post-Pandemic: Is COVID-19 a Material Adverse Effect Under M&A Transactions?, MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL LAWYER, STATE BAR OF MICHIGAN, Volume 31 No. II, Summer 2020
- The Paradox of Crypto Pseudonymity: Can A Taxpayer Deduct the Casualty Loss of Crypto, Tax Management Memorandum, BLOOMBERG TAX, February 24, 2020
- The Mastery of Technology: Global Effect of Cryptocurrency Regulations on Blockchain’s Application in Facilitating Natural Disaster Relief, MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL LAWYER, STATE BAR OF MICHIGAN, Volume 31 No. I, Spring 2019
- Saudi Arabia’s Legal & Economic Reform, MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL LAWYER, STATE BAR OF MICHIGAN, Vol. 29 No. III, Fall 2017
- State Bar of Michigan