Bob is the partner-in-charge of the Kentucky office. As a seasoned trial attorney, he is experienced in investigating and prosecuting a wide variety of criminal matters. As lead attorney, Bob prosecuted cases involving complex financial frauds, money laundering, federal tax violations, healthcare fraud, national security matters, violations of the Export Control Act, immigration, and human trafficking crimes, and public corruption. He also prosecuted narcotics trafficking organizations, firearms violations and crimes against children. As a prosecutor, Bob successfully tried many federal cases to jury verdict. Bob is also experienced in litigating forfeiture claims, habeas actions and appeals before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Bob has a long record serving the United States as an attorney before entering private practice. He was an Assistant United States Attorney in the Eastern District of Kentucky for over 15 years. As an AUSA, Bob first chaired criminal jury trials in U.S. District Court and handled appeals before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. Additionally, he was the District’s National Security Prosecutor and the Anti-Terrorism Advisory Council Coordinator. Bob also held several leadership positions. In 2006, he was assigned as the manager of the London Branch Office. Shortly thereafter, he was promoted to Criminal Chief and served in that position until January 2010. As Criminal Chief, Bob supervised the Criminal Division’s personnel and exercised oversight of all prosecutions in the District. More recently, he was the supervisor of the Ft. Mitchell Branch Office, where he handled a number of high profile investigations and prosecutions.
Bob also served in the United States Navy, Judge Advocate General’s Corps, for 10 years. His major assignments included senior prosecutor on the Island of Guam, Officer-in-Charge of a Detachment in New Orleans focusing on criminal defense, and Staff Judge Advocate, Recruit Training Command. Bob attained the rank of Lieutenant Commander. He was also an enlisted Combat Engineer in the Army National Guard.
United States Attorney's Leadership Award Honoree, Eastern District of Kentucky (2008)
All Service Areas
- University of Dayton School of Law (1992)
- Miami University (1987)
- State - Kentucky
- Federal - Eastern District of Kentucky
- Federal - Western District of Kentucky
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- United States v. Marie Antoinette Castelli, 16-cr-33 (EDKY). Defendant pleaded guilty to communicating threats in interstate commerce. Her threats involved several U.S. service members who were engaged in the war on terrorism and their families.
- United States v. Louis Brothers, 14-cr-35 (EDKY). Defendant exported radiation hardened microcircuits to China. He pleaded guilty to violations of Armed Export Control Act and money laundering, and he was subject to forfeiture of significant assets.
- United States v. Meredith L. Lawrence, 11-cr-52 (EDKY). Defendant was convicted at trial of multiple counts of filing false federal tax returns.
- United States v. Ronald E. Weinland, 11-cr-07 (EDKY). Defendant was convicted at trial of multiple counts of federal income tax evasion arising out of his use of a non-profit organization to conceal personal income.
- United States v. Spectrum Interiors, et al., 07-cr-85. (EDKY). CEO of Spectrum Interiors pleaded guilty personally and on behalf of the corporation to violations of harboring aliens without status in the United States. CEO was sentenced to a term of imprisonment, and the corporation was subject to a money judgment of $2,000,000.00.
Speeches and Publications
Co-author, "DOJ's Shot Across the Bows of Corporate Counsel," Taft Law Bulletin, March 10, 2022.
"Federal Export Control Law Carrying Criminal Sanctions — A Brief Overview," Kentucky Bar Association, Bench and Bar Magazine, May 2014.
- Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
Founding president, Northern Kentucky Lawyers Chapter
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Salmon P. Chase American Inn of Court
- Northern Kentucky Veterans Treatment Court
Mentor Coordinator (2017 - present)
- Navy League
- Disabled Veterans of America
- Teen Court, Campbell County