Ann focuses her practice on employment law matters in the areas of:
- Employment litigation
- Employment law counseling
- Employment law training
Ann has 30 years of experience in employment law and litigation. She has handled cases in state and federal court and argued before the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals. She frequently assists employers in responding to discrimination charges brought before federal, state, and local enforcement agencies. She also conducts internal investigations for employers both prior to and after litigation begins.
Also as part of her practice, Ann advises clients on a variety of employment, governance and litigation issues. In this capacity, she has worked with an array of for profit and nonprofit clients, including large and medium-size corporations and private and charter schools, colleges, universities, community organizations, and social service providers. In advising colleges and universities, Ann has provided advice on a wide range of issues unique to higher education institutions – structural governance changes, Title IX, the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act, FERPA, tenure codes, students affairs, and internal investigations of sexual harassment.
Ann is a frequent lecturer at seminars for attorneys, human resource professionals and managers. She has spoken on a variety of topics related to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), including managing employees with chronic disabilities or mental illness.
Ann has completed more than 30 hours of training in mediation. She has extensive experience in representing employers in mediation along with experience acting as a mediator for others.
While in law school, Ann was an articles editor of the Minnesota Law Review. She also clerked for the Hon. Harry H. MacLaughlin, U.S. District Court District of Minnesota.
Honoree, Distinguished Humanitarian Service Award, Ramsey County Bar Association (2014)
Honoree, David Graven Public Service Award, Minnesota State Bar Association (2005)
Fellow, The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
Honoree, University of Minnesota Alumni Service Award, University of Minnesota
Honoree, Chambers USA: Labor & Employment, Band 1
Honoree, Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Top 40 Employment Law Attorneys, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Top 50 Women Super Lawyers, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Top 100 Women Super Lawyers, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Honoree, Alumni Service Award, University of Minnesota
Honoree, 21st Century Leadership Award, Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services
The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law
Honoree, Leading Minnesota Attorney
Honoree, Leading American Attorney
- University of Minnesota Law School (1981)
- University of Minnesota, M.A. (1976)
- University of Iowa, B.A., with Highest Distinction (1970)
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Brought claim on behalf of former employer against former employee and employee's new employer for breach of confidentiality agreement, breach of trade secret, and duty of loyalty.
- Brought claims on behalf of employer against former employees for misappropriation of trade secrets, conversion, tortious interference with business and employment relationship, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract.
- Defended employer in collective wage and hour lawsuit alleging over $20,000,000 in unpaid overtime by loan officers who claimed they were improperly classified as exempt employees, and should have been classified as nonexempt and paid overtime.
- Conducted internal employment investigation for General Counsel of internal gender discrimination and sexual harassment complaint by employee against the employee's supervisor.
- Defended employer in lawsuit alleging age discrimination and interference with FMLA claim brought by a sales person who sold credit services but had performance issues and was terminated.
- Represented board in negotiation of departure of president, including president's separation agreement and consulting agreement; drafted board resolutions and minutes regarding same.
- Represented CEO of large manufacturer in negotiating and drafting CEO's final employment agreement with company. Agreement provided transition package along with other features.
- Represented employer in responding to embezzlement by employee of over $1 million.
- Represented senior executive in negotiating separation agreement with executive's large corporate employer.
- Represented educational entity in de-tenuring process and in federal court against age and disability discrimination claims.
Speeches and Publications
- Co-Author, “Mental Health Conditions and Chemical Dependency,” in The ADA Handbook, 1st 2013, revised 2nd Ed. Expected in 2020, Minnesota State Bar Association CLE.
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, Governing Council,
Member, Certified Labor and Employment Law Specialist
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
Member, Former President
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- National Association of College & University Attorneys (NACUA)
- Madeline Island Chamber Music
- Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
- St. Paul Foundation
Former Chair & Vice Chair
Former Member, Board of Directors
- Minnesota Community Foundation
Former Member, Board of Directors
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association
Former National Board Member
- St. John's University
Former Board Chair,
Former Board of Trustees Member
- Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth
Board Member, Former Board Chair
- Campaign for Legal Aid, Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services