Peter is an attorney in Taft’s Venture Capital and Emerging Companies, Mergers and Acquisitions, Securities – Corporate, Corporate Governance, and Securities Litigation and Enforcement Defense practice groups. He has extensive experience representing clients in complex business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions.
Peter represents clients in both private and public securities offerings, exchange offers, refinancings, private debt, mezzanine, and equity placements, as well as public companies in all aspects of 1933 Act, 1934 Act, and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance matters. He represents directors of public corporations individually and in their capacities as members of Audit Committees, Disclosure Committees, and other special committees. He has an active practice in the acquisition and disposition of businesses and has led mergers and acquisitions teams in multiple sales of venture-backed businesses that have become finalists and winners of Crain’s Business Deal of the Year awards. Peter is also involved in all aspects of the formation, financing, and governance of businesses, including equity, debt, and hybrid capitalization transactions. Peter has assisted numerous businesses in financing their start-up all the way through an initial public offering (IPO).
Honoree, Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers®, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Detroit (2021)
Recipient, Alumni Achievement Award, Richard J. Barber Wayne Law Review
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2005 - present)
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers, Securities and Corporate Finance Law (2007 - 2020)
Recipient, Corporate Counsel Super Lawyer
Honoree, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
Recipient, Donald H. Gordon Award for Excellence in Teaching, Wayne State University Law School
Honoree, Top Lawyer, Dbusiness
Recipient, Advisory Board, Program for Entrepreneurship and Business Law, Wayne State University Law School
All Service Areas
- Wayne State University Law School (1970)
Articles and Managing Editor of the Wayne Law Review
- Wayne State University (1967)
B.S. in Business Administration
- State - Michigan
- Federal - Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
Speeches and Publications
- Securities "Transactions" Hot Topics, 2014—2018 Midwest Securities Law Institute, Michigan State University School of Law.
- Moderator, "Navigating the Brave New World of Equity Capital Formation: 'Hot Issues' Worldwide IPO markets; Crowdfunding; Microlending; 'Simplified' Public Offerings," TAGLaw International Conference, 2014.
- Adjunct Professor, Wayne State University Law School. Courses in Business Planning; Securities Regulation; Corporate Finance.
- State Bar of Michigan
Business Law Section
- American Bar Association