Nathan practices principally in the areas of:
- Capital formation (including debt and equity financing).
- Private equity investments and joint ventures.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- General commercial and corporate law.
- Business formation and planning.
Nathan represents clients in a wide variety of matters and industries. His experience includes structuring, negotiating and documenting various transactions, including private equity investments, joint ventures, mezzanine and other debt financings, acquisitions and divestitures, restructurings, real estate transactions and other commercial transactions. He also advises franchisors and franchisees with respect to various franchise matters, including franchise disclosure and registration. Additionally, Nathan advises clients on matters relating to corporate governance, and has experience advising nonprofit organizations.
Nathan regularly serves as a volunteer lawyer for LegalCORPS, a nonprofit organization that provides legal assistance to qualifying entrepreneurs, nonprofits and small businesses. He also serves as a supervising attorney for the University of Minnesota Law School Business Laws Clinic.
Nathan was a law clerk for The Honorable Roger L. Wollman, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit. While in law school, he served as an editor for the South Dakota Law Review.
All Service Areas
- University of South Dakota School of Law (2006)
- University of South Dakota, M.B.A. (2006)
- South Dakota State University, B.S. (2003)
- State - Minnesota
- State - South Dakota
- Federal - 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Represented owners of a Minnesota-based insurance agency in connection with its merger with a U.S. insurance agency.
- Represented a regional telecommunications company in the sale of its cell towers and related assets to SBA Communications Corporation, a publicly traded telecommunications company.
- Represented franchisors in preparing and updating franchise disclosure documents, franchise agreements and other agreements, and advising on disclosure and registration matters.
- Represented a professional service firm in preparing, reviewing and negotiating numerous professional service and other commercial contracts;
- Represented multiple clients in negotiating and structuring limited liability companies and other entities.
- Represented a private equity firm in its divestiture of a leading provider of travel solutions for loyalty programs.
- Represented an airline holding company in its dissolution, plan of liquidation and distributions to shareholders.
- Represented private equity firm in connection with the assumption of a commercial airline maintenance facility ground lease and related agreements.
- Represented a premier U.S. private equity firm in over 100 various joint ventures and acquisitions involving a broad range of assets, including distressed and non-performing loans, real estate, aircraft, maritime vessels and oil and gas interests.
Speeches and Publications
Author, “Changes to State Franchise Registration Filings as a Result of COVID-19,” Taft Law Bulletin, May 7, 2020.
- Minnesota State Bar Association