As a commercial finance attorney, Michael advises private equity groups, lenders and borrowers on legal matters related to leveraged, project, unitranche, asset-based, mezzanine and structured financings. He also counsels banks, fund and family office clients on mergers and acquisitions and minority investments.
Michael provides legal guidance for senior and mezzanine lenders, private equity groups and family offices spanning industries such as health care, agriculture, food, manufacturing, contractors, retail and biotechnology. His experience includes representation of:
• A senior lender in 150 million dollars secured facility for real estate acquisition and management company.
• A mezzanine lender in 15 million dollar subordinated note issuance for online retailer.
• An agent in 70 million euro working capital facility for an international company.
• A family office in 25 million dollar minority investment in biotech company.
• A private equity sponsor 175 million dollar senior and mezzanine financing facilities in connection with a technology solution provider acquisition.
• National bank in acquisition and sale of bank stock.
Michael earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of St. Thomas School of Law, where he was the senior editor of the University of St. Thomas Law Journal. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Notre Dame.
All Service Areas
- University of St. Thomas School of Law (2004)
J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Notre Dame (2000)
- State - Minnesota
- Represented senior lenders in numerous senior-term and revolving credit facilities related to the recapitalization or acquisition of companies in a wide array of industries.
- Represented Small Business Investment Company (SBIC) and other institutional or fund lenders in a multitude of mezzanine loan facilities related to the acquisition of companies in a wide array of industries.
- Represented family office and private equity funds in multiple minority investments in biotech, technology, marketing and health care industries.
- Represented senior bank lenders and agents in senior secured syndicated and single bank working capital facilities.
- Represented private equity funds in numerous senior, mezzanine and unitranche credit facilities related to the recapitalization or acquisition of platforms and add-on businesses.
- Represented national and state banks in merger, acquisition and sale transactions.
- Represented banks in the acquisition of assets of failed banks from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
- Dakota County
Conciliation court referee
- St. Therese Foundation