Michael is an experienced trial attorney and litigator and serves as co-chair of the Chicago office's Eminent Domain practice. He joined the firm in 1999 after practicing several years in the private sector and in the City of Chicago’s Department of Law.
Michael’s litigation practice emphasizes complex civil litigation, with a particular focus in the areas of commercial, fiduciary, employment, eminent domain and civil rights law. He has tried numerous cases to judgment in both federal and state court, including the widely-publicized Ryan Harris civil rights trial. Michael also has experience litigating in the appellate courts.
Michael received his B.A. from the University of Illinois and also studied at the University College Dublin in Ireland. He earned his J.D. from DePaul University College of Law where he was a member of the DePaul Law Review. He was the recipient of the American Jurisprudence Book Award for Torts.
Michael was named to the list of Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars (recognizing the state’s top young lawyers) for 2008-2010.
Honoree, Illinois Leading Lawyers
Honoree, Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2008-2010)
All Service Areas
- DePaul University College of Law (1996)
- University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana (1993)
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- State - Illinois
- Represents healthcare industry firm defending a federal qui tam lawsuit stemming from alleged violations of federal False Claims Act and state Whistleblower Reward and Protection Act.
- Represented the City of Chicago at trial in the widely publicized multimillion dollar tort action involving the defense of the City and two detectives in connection with the arrests of two minors for the murder of Ryan Harris.
- Represented individual fiduciary in defense of a multi-million dollar federal lawsuit alleging breaches of fiduciary duty, breaches of contract and unjust enrichment arising from various natural gas and real estate investments.
- Represents the City of Chicago in a class action lawsuit challenging the police department’s stop procedures under the Fourth Amendment.
- Represents the City of Chicago in connection with the Union Station Transportation Center project
- Represents the City of Chicago, and has represented Village of Bellwood, the Chicago Park District and Public Building Commission, in various eminent domain matters.
- Represents a national portable storage company in lawsuit stemming from alleged violations of Illinois Self-Service Storage Facility Act.
- Represents condominium association providing guidance on fiduciary duties and successfully represented the association in defense of lawsuit seeking temporary restraining order.
- Represents media consulting company related to fiduciary obligations and various business transactions.
- Represented employee-owned corporation in federal ERISA lawsuit stemming from ESOP transaction involving alleged breaches of fiduciary duty and prohibited transactions.
- Represented the City of Chicago successfully in a highly publicized civil rights lawsuit involving the City’s defense of its arrest of a minor for murder.
- Represented Fortune 500 electronics company in professional negligence and malpractice action, premises liability action and other matters.
- Represented an individual in breach of finder’s fee agreement lawsuit and related federal lawsuit involving Electronic Communications Privacy Act and related claims.
- Represented Illinois School District Agency in prosecution of appeal stemming from coverage dispute.
- Defeated a temporary restraining order in a breach of fiduciary duty and trade secret action by an employee against four former employees.
Speeches and Publications
- Speaker, “Eminent Domain and Condemnation” - The Chicago Farmer’s Farmland Investment Fair (February 2011)
- Speaker, “Taking and Defending Depositions” - Chicago Bar Association program “Basic Skills” (October 2009)
- Retaliatory Discharge of In-House Counsel: A Cause of Action–Ethical Obligations v. Fiduciary Duties,” 45 DePaul Law Review 859 (1996)
- Federal Bar Association Member, Chicago Chapter
- Chicago Bar Association Member
- St. Ignatius Law Society Member
- Celtic Legal Society of Chicago Member, Board of Governors
- City Club of Chicago Member