Matt focuses his practice on general corporate, transactional, securities and gaming matters with an emphasis on mergers & acquisitions, private equity transactions, the representation of emerging companies in securities and corporate governance matters and private placements of securities.
In mergers & acquisitions matters, Matt focuses on the buy- and sell-side of transactions involving emerging and middle-market companies. Matt has experience in the representation of financial and strategic buyers and with sales of substantial family businesses and private equity portfolio companies. In addition, Matt has assisted in public-to-private leveraged buy-outs, domestic and international joint-ventures and corporate recapitalizations.
In the area of securities and corporate governance, Matt has experience representing listed- and non-listed real estate investment trusts (REITs) in public offerings and private placements of securities and continuous disclosure under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Matt also represents emerging and middle-market companies in private placements of debt and equity securities. Matt counsels companies of all sizes, from emerging growth companies to members of the Fortune 500, in corporate governance matters.
Prior to joining Taft, Matt was an associate in the corporate department of Ropes & Gray LLP.
Matt received a B.A., magna cum laude, from Washington and Lee University and a J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School.
All Service Areas
- University of Chicago Law School (2010)
- Washington and Lee University (B.A., magna cum laude, Political Science and East Language & Literature) (2007)
- State - Illinois
Recent Representative Venture Capital Transactions
- Represented a television production company in a $10 million Series A offering to a venture capital fund at a valuation of $100 million.
- Represented a start-up company developing cloud-based SaaS technology in a $1 million Series Seed offering to a venture capital fund at a valuation of $8.7 million.
- Represented the founder of an emerging company in the Media & Entertainment industry in a $10 million secondary transaction.
- Represented the developer of a fast-casual restaurant concept in a $2.5 million initial capital raise at a valuation of $6.3 million.
- Represented a start-up software developer in the healthcare industry in a multiple raises aggregating over $4.0 million.
Recent Representative M&A Transactions
- Represented the selling private equity funds in the sale to a strategic buyer at a greater than $150 million valuation of a private equity portfolio company operating integrated casino resorts in multiple jurisdictions.
- Represented a venture-backed software start up in the telecom sector in its merger with the U.S. operating subsidiary of a public company at a greater than $60 million valuation.
- Represented a family-owned chemicals manufacturing and distribution business in the sale of its assets to a strategic buyer at a greater than $60 million valuation.
- Represented an entrepreneur-owned international commercial real estate brokerage and development services business in the sale of its assets to a public company at a greater than $35 million valuation.
- Represented the selling private equity funds in the sale to a strategic buyer at a greater than $30 million valuation of a portfolio company engaged in light industrial manufacturing for onward distribution to the consumer market.
- Represented an entrepreneur-owned medical imaging and diagnostics business in the sale of its assets to a private equity portfolio company at an approximately $25 million valuation.
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs - Young Professionals Member
- Chicago Fringe Opera Board President