Marko leads Taft’s Detroit Tax practice group. He specializes in corporate and real estate tax matters, applying his extensive transactional expertise in support of all tax matters faced by our clients. Marko provides sophisticated and creative tax solutions from beginning to end.
Marko advises clients on individual, partnership, corporation, and international tax issues, helping them structure transactions with the objective of minimizing tax liabilities. These include domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, debt and equity offerings, and business entity formations. Known for asking key questions that dig deeper, Marko can anticipate concerns and recognize potential pitfalls before they arise. Marko works closely with other practice groups to ensure that every aspect of a transaction has been evaluated to mitigate risks and achieve investment goals both efficiently and cost-effectively.
All Service Areas
- University of Michigan Law School (1997)
- University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School (1994)
- State - Michigan
- State - New York
Speeches and Publications
- “Distributions and Allocations: Getting LLC Economics Right” presented in-house on January 24, 2008.
- “The Domestic and International Aspects of Creative Business Entity Selection,” panelist at the Joint Business Entities / International Tax Panel Discussion, 2008 State Bar of Michigan Annual Tax Conference, May 28, 2008.
- “OID and COD: TLAs for the Lending Partner,” Michigan Tax Lawyer, Vol. XXXV, Issue 1 (2009).
- “Advising Troubled Companies – A Brief Outline of Potential COD Issues” presented to the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants, June 30, 2010.
- “Tax Efficient Exits: Two Opportunities for C Corporation Sellers” presented to Ann Arbor SPARK, January 20, 2014.
- “Welcome to OZ (Opportunity Zones)” presented to Commercial Real Estate Roundtable, February 26, 2019.
- “Brownfields in OZ (Opportunity Zones)” presented to the Oakland County Bar Association as part of a conference on “Brownfield Incentives: An Overview For Legal Practitioners,” March 4, 2020.