Mark is a partner in Taft's Commercial Litigation practice, working closely with the firm's Securities Litigation and Enforcement Defense and Privacy and Data Security practices. He is a business attorney who partners with his clients to understand their needs and execute a strategy leading to the right solution.
Mark’s clients turn to him for sound counsel and assistance in a wide range of complex matters in highly regulated areas, including:
- Securities broker-dealer and investment adviser issues, including disputes relating to securities investments, employment transition, non-competition agreements, enforcement, and regulatory actions; and
- Commercial litigation involving contracts, non-competition agreements, trade secrets, unfair competition, employment and business and partnership disputes.
Mark is called upon to provide advice and representation to regional and national securities firms, public and privately held corporations, and individuals. He has extensive experience in federal and state courts, arbitration, mediation, and in securities law regulatory matters that often involve requests for immediate injunctive relief and the use of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), including arbitration and mediation.
Mark is a past lecturer on compliance and regulatory issues for a national securities firm and has co-authored several publications. He is a regular speaker at the Midwest Securities Law Institutes.
- Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2018, 2020-2023)
- Honoree, Best Lawyers in America "Lawyer of the Year" for Securities Litigation-Detroit (2019, 2022)
- Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers, Top 100 (2020)
- Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers (2006-2022)
- Honoree, DBusiness Top Lawyer (2012-2021)
- Arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- AV Peer Review Rated, LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell
All Service Areas
- University of Michigan Law School
- University of Michigan
High Distinction and Highest Honors
- State - Michigan
- Federal - Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal - Western District of Michigan
- Federal - 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
Mark has represented:
- A national securities firm in obtaining a $20 million arbitration award against a competitor for raiding the firm of its employees.
- Numerous individuals and/or groups of individuals in successfully transitioning from their current employer to a new position while navigating their contractual and other obligations to their prior firm.
- Securities professionals in resolving state and federal regulatory inquiries.
- A private equity firm in resolving regulatory claims relating to the sale of collateralized loan obligations.
- An individual in obtaining a million-dollar settlement against his former firm involving claims of inaccurately reporting the circumstances of his departure
- Members of a CPA firm to resolve a Securities and Exchange Commission action.
Speeches and Publications
- "How to Sell Your Advising Practice in 2021," U.S. World and News Report, March 12, 2021.
- "Voices: How financial advisors can avoid legal trouble when switching firms," Financial Planning, February 21, 2021.
- "Brokerage Firm Departures - Reasons to Expect 2016 to be a Record Year."
- "Preventing Security Breaches: Best Practices Under Michigan's New Notification Law," Michigan Computer Lawyer, Vol. 24, No. 2 (2007).
- "Preventing Security Breaches: Best Practices Under Michigan's New Notification Law," LACHES, a publication of the Oakland County Bar Association (2007).
- "The Need for Local Counsel in the Federal Court," LACHES, a publication of the Oakland County Bar Association (2000).
- "Federal Courts on the Information Superhighway," LACHES, a publication of the Oakland County Bar Association (1996).
- "Securities, Fraud and RICO Litigation Seminar, Federal or State Court v. Arbitration," Detroit Bar Association.
- Invited Speaker, 2009-2019 Midwest Securities Law Institute.
- AMS Continuing Legal Education Advanced Litigation Skills for Paralegals.
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
Member, Business Court and Counsel Committee
Vice-Chair, Circuit Court Committee
Former Chair, Chair of the Federal Courts Committee
- Compliance and Legal Division of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA)
- Greater West Bloomfield Cable Communications Commission
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
Member, Board of Governors
- Jewish Home and Aging Services/Jewish Senior Life
President, Board of Directors
- The Jewish Fund
Member, Board of Directors