Marcus practices primarily in the areas of:
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Information technology and software licensing.
- Corporate finance.
- Professional sports teams.
- General commercial and corporate law.
He is also a member of the newly formed Distressed Company Task Force that was created to assist borrower clients in every way, including how to navigate discussions with their lenders and in addressing concerns over suppliers and stakeholders. Please reach out to him with any questions on how he can counsel you during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Marcus has represented numerous clients in M&A transactions across a wide array of industries. This representation has included public and private companies, private equity funds and family offices, emerging companies and venture-funded start-ups. He frequently assists clients with transactions including mergers, acquisitions and dispositions of stock and assets, reorganizations and spin-offs, and joint ventures and equity investments.
Information Technology and Software Licensing
Marcus has experience representing technology companies and consumers of technology products and services. He regularly counsels clients in connection with drafting and negotiating software licenses, SaaS agreements, development agreements, joint ventures, and reseller and distribution agreements, as well as internet and ecommerce matters.
Marcus advises clients in a variety of financing transactions, including in connection with private placements of equity and debt. He also counsels investors making investments into private companies.
Professional Sports Teams
Marcus advises professional sports franchises on a myriad of matters, including stadium construction and operation, league issues, sponsorship opportunities and general day-to-day business matters.
Honoree, Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
All Service Areas
- University of Minnesota Law School (2011)
magna cum laude
- University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management, M.B.A. (2011)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (2007)
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - District of Minnesota
Marcus' recent experience includes assisting with the representation of:
- Business owners in the sale of a private software company.
- Private equity clients in connection with acquisitions of a trucking tarp manufacturing company and a gaming chair manufacturer.
- A buyer in connection with the purchase of a manufacturer and bottler of nutritional and dietary supplements and beverages.
- A professional sports team in connection with the development, construction and use of a new sports facility.
- Professional services clients with respect to state regulatory and professional licensing matters.
- Emerging businesses with respect to formation, capitalization and other start-up needs.
- A global medical software and content provider in the pharmacology, drug interactions and patient information sectors with ongoing various licensing and other commercial matters.
- A global provider of medical reference information in connection with software licensing matters and ongoing in various commercial matters.
- A global provider of web-based clinical management and assistance solutions in ongoing various licensing and other commercial matters.
- A healthcare medical content provider in ongoing representation for various licensing and other commercial matters.
- The private equity arm of a large asset management firm in acquisitions of portfolio manufacturing companies.
- A publicly traded energy services company in its acquisition of an integrated water management company.
- Owners in the sale of a food manufacturing, distribution and franchising company to a national private equity firm buyer.
- A private equity firm in the acquisition of the stock of a sign fabrication and service company.
- Seller in connection with the sale of a cyber security and IT security services company to a strategic buyer.
- A private equity firm in the sale of two IT services companies.
- A large agricultural commodities and distribution company in the divestiture of its U.S. agronomy business.
- Business owners in the sale of a privately held benefits administration company.
- A product packaging solutions company in the acquisition of two strategic add-on printing companies.