Lee represents a wide range of clients in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, complex business transactions, and general corporate matters. Clients appreciate Lee’s no nonsense, practical approach to matters. Lee represents private equity, independent sponsors, entrepreneurs, and other clients in M&A transactions of all types, including asset purchases, equity purchases, and mergers. He has led and managed transactions across a multitude of industries and jurisdictions from letter of intent to closing. Lee also assists clients in corporate finance and facilitating and documenting complex capital structures in limited liability companies, including operating agreements with sophisticated and unique distribution waterfalls and governance provisions.
In addition, Lee acts as outside general counsel advising clients and their principals on day-to-day legal needs. These services cover a variety of issues, including advising, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, joint ventures, employment and consulting agreements, non-competes, and equity incentives. He also works with business owners on multifaceted issues involving governance and control, transfer restrictions, buy/sell agreements and other general corporate matters.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law (2024)
Recipient, ACG Detroit M&A All-Star Award – Advisor of the Year (2022)
Honoree, Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Michigan Go To Lawyers” in Business Law
Honoree, Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Up and Coming Lawyers” (2009)
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2008—2016)
Honoree, DBusiness Top Lawyers, (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024)
All Service Areas
- Wayne State University Law School
J.D., magna cum laude
Order of the Coif
- Washington & Jefferson College
- State - Michigan
Representative Mergers and Acquisitions Transactions
- Represented independent sponsor in connection with the acquisition of multiple platforms in various industries including, heavy construction, engineering and land surveying, nutritional supplements, civil construction and reclamation, and commercial and residential construction.
- Represented precision components, a medical device and cutting tools manufacturer in connection with the acquisition of more than 40 businesses in an 11-year period across multiple industry sectors, including aerospace and medical.
- Represented global insurance restoration and rehabilitation company in connection with more than 20 acquisitions over an 8-year period.
- Represented owner of multiple-location mental health therapy practice in a sale to a private equity buyer.
- Represented encryption and anti-spam software developer and provider in a sale to a publicly traded buyer.
- Represented U.S.-based management team in a $350 million buyout of a German parent company.
- Represented a global insurance restoration and rehabilitation company in a reverse triangular merger with a private equity buyer and a subsequent spinoff of retained property and assets.
- Represented independent sponsor in the sale of its platform company in the precision tooling and manufacturing industry to a private equity buyer.
- Represented independent sponsor in the sale of its platform company in the wood pallet manufacturing, brokering and recycling business to a strategic buyer.
- Represented a private equity fund in the sale of its platform company in the underground water and sewer pipe restoration industry to a private equity buyer.
• Represented Rosh Review in the sale to Blueprint Education.
- Represented closely held web-based continuing education business to a private equity fund.
- Represented entrepreneurs in the sale of a drinking water safety business to a private equity fund.
- Represented Ferrous Processing and Trading Co. in the $775 million sale to Cleveland Cliffs.
- Represented independent sponsor in the sale of Thayer Power & Communication to Calera Capital.
- Represented multi-industry franchisor in connection with the acquisition of ChemDry, Nhance, Delta Restoration, Redbox+, Safer Home Services and Cool Binz brands.
- Represented independent sponsor in connection with its acquisition of residential and commercial stone and masonry contractor.
- Represented independent sponsor in connection with its acquisition of a residential foundation and concrete flatwork contractor.
- Represented independent sponsor in connection with its acquisition of a residential and commercial stone and masonry contractor and supplier.
- Represented independent sponsor in connection with its acquisition of a residential lawn maintenance and pest control business.
Representative Financing Transactions
- Represented multiple independent sponsors in connection with new platform acquisition financing with both senior and mezzanine debt ranging in size from $5 million to over $100 million.
- Represented multiple independent sponsors in connection with equity raises related to new platform acquisitions ranging in size from $2 million to $50 million.
- Represented global insurance restoration and rehabilitation company in connection with initial financing and refinancing of a $500+ million syndicated loan facility.
- Represented nationwide water and sewer pipe rehabilitation firm in connection with recapitalization transaction, including equity offering and refinancing of senior and mezzanine debt.
- Represented precision components manufacturer in connection with recapitalization transaction, including equity offering and refinancing of senior and mezzanine debt.
- Represented entrepreneur in connection with acquisition financing for multiple real estate portfolios.
- Represented prototype design and manufacturing business in connection with business, real estate, and equipment financing.
- Represented multiple clients in numerous industries in connection with equipment financing and capital lease credit facilities.
Speeches and Publications
- “How to Prepare your Company for Investors”, webinar Lawrence Technological University, June 23, 2020. Click here for Webinar
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association