Kristine is primarily an intellectual property lawyer with nearly 25 years’ experience. Her expertise is in the areas of trade secrets, trademarks, copyrights, patents, contracts, and licensing.
Kristine is a Rule 114 qualified neutral in Minnesota and has handled sophisticated business and commercial disputes, and complex litigation. She is a member of the International Trademark Association’s Panel of Mediators and has served as a neutral in intellectual property and trademark disputes. With Kristine’s extensive experience, she is known to be talented and effective in handling disputes over business interests and concerns involving all types of intellectual property.
Kristine is one of the 1000 top trademark professionals worldwide, as recognized by the World Trademark Review. She has also been recognized by her peers for her dedication to providing superior legal service and has been listed in Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property since 2016. In 2021, Kristine received the Certified Licensing Professional (CLP) designation, joining a select group of IP professionals that have demonstrated their experience, proficiency, knowledge, and understanding of licensing and commercialization of intellectual property.
- Named to American Arbitration Association (AAA) Roster
- Qualified Neutral under Minnesota Practice Rule 114
- Appointed Neutral on the International Trademark Association (INTA) Panel of Neutrals
Honoree, IP Stars, Managing Intellectual Property (2023)
Honoree, IAM Patent 1000 (2023)
Honoree, Top Lawyers, Intellectual Property and Patent Law, Minnesota Monthly (2023)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Intellectual Property (2016 – present)
Honoree, World Trademark Review, WTR 1000 (2021 – present)
Legal Policy Student Intern, United States Patent and Trademark Office
Named Certified Licensing Professional (2021)
The Top Women Attorneys in Minnesota
All Service Areas
- William Mitchell College of Law (1998)
- University of St. Thomas, Opus School of Business
Mini-MBA Program, Spring 2011
- St. Mary's College of Minnesota (1994)
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
- State - Wisconsin
- Federal - 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- Federal - Northern District of Florida
- Federal - Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - District of Nebraska
- Granted one of the first decisions under the new Trademark Reexamination Petition process ushered in by the Trademark Modernization Act and the first filed by Taft as a firm.
- Regularly serves as lead counsel after handling hundreds of intellectual property lawsuits nationwide that include:
- Trade Secret Theft
- Patent Infringement
- Copyright Infringement
- Breach of IP agreements (licensing and development)
- Trademark Infringement
- Routinely negotiates and advises on IP agreements
- Conducts IP due diligence in multiple M&A transactions yearly
Speeches and Publications
- Guarding Your Trademarks and Copyrights in the Digital Age Association of Corporate Counsel, Minnesota Chapter, September 2016.
- Speaker, Non-Trademark Issues Trademark Attorneys Should Know About International Trademark Association, Minneapolis Roundtable, June 2014.
- Author, Federal (District of Minnesota) Practice Deskbook, Depositions Chapter, May 27, 2014.
- Author, “Preliminary Injunctions,” Trademark Infringement Remedies (BNA), May 16, 2010.
- Co-Author and Moderator, “Witness,” The Minnesota Ultimate Trial Notebook III, Nov. 18, 2000.
- Author, “Antitrust Concerns With Licensing Agreements,” MSBA’s Antitrust & Business Competition Law Conference, April 18, 2000.
- Author, “Judicial Disobedience & The Corporate Right of Publicity in Federal Trademark Dilution Legislation,” Nov. 27, 1999.
- Author, “Life After Quality King: A Critique of Copyright Law as a Tool to Police the Grey Market,” AIPLA Quarterly Journal 109, April 27, 1999.
- Author, “The Corporate Right of Publicity in Federal Trademark Dilution Legislation,” Trademark Reporter, August 27, 1998.
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law (ABA-IPL)
Chair, IP Transactions and Licensing Committee (2023-2024)
- Federal Bar Association
Past National and Chapter-Level Board Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association
Past Fourth District Ethics Committee Member
- International Trademark Association
Appointed Panel Members, INTA Panel of Neutrals
- American Arbitration Association
Appointed Roster Member
- Association for Corporate Growth
Minnesota Chapter Member
- National Association of Corporate Directors
Minnesota Chapter Member
- Early Settlement Conference Project
District of Minnesota, United States District Court – Panelist