Kathryn L. LaPlante
Katie is a member of Taft’s Commercial Litigation practice group in the firm’s Minneapolis office.
Katie has extensive experience defending a diverse group of public and private companies in alternative dispute resolution and trial. She handles multi-party cases, including class actions and multi-district litigation, as well as single-party cases. She represents both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal court and is a strong advocate for her clients in the courtroom. Many of Katie’s clients have been able to successfully resolve their disputes through her counsel.
Prior to joining Taft, Katie was an attorney at a well-known regional law firm in Minneapolis. She earned her J.D. at Mitchell Hamline School of Law and was an editor on the William Mitchell Law Review.
Taft Pro Bono Honor Roll Award
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law (2015)
- University of St. Thomas (2012)
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- State - Illinois
- State - Wisconsin
- Represented Fortune 500 company in dispute regarding complex residential mortgage foreclosure
- Represented airline and energy company in disputes with taxing authorities
- Negotiated numerous favorable settlements with tax authorities
- Defended physicians and attorneys in malpractice actions
- Obtained order compelling production of documents from a non-party on behalf of a trust company
- Obtained favorable result in prosecution of defamation claims
- Represented major metropolitan city in employment discrimination case
- Represented family-owned business against allegations of ADA violations
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association