Jon is an investment management attorney who advises investment managers, investment companies, and institutional investors on securities and corporate law. He also regularly advises private and public companies, as well as officers, directors, and shareholders, on a wide range of matters related to corporate and securities law. He has significant experience in investment management, public-company disclosure, public mergers and acquisitions, and other change-in-control and strategic transactions.
Jon’s investment management work encompasses organizing, registering, and structuring money-management firms and public and private investment companies, representing buyers and sellers on M&A transactions involving investment advisors and similar businesses and providing counsel on SEC, FINRA, and other regulatory-compliance matters, including preparing clients for inspections and defending them in enforcement actions. Previously, Jon served as Senior Counsel in the Enforcement Division of the Securities Exchange Commission’s South East Regional Office. After law school, Jon was a clerk for U.S. District Judge D. Brock Hornby, D. Maine.
Honoree, Top Lawyers, Securities / Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulation, Minnesota Monthly (2022)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (1990)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (1987)
B.A. with honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- State - Minnesota
- Securities compliance counsel to a number of registered investment advisers, investment companies, and boards.
- Counsel to independent trustees of fund complex.
- Represented an investment adviser in connection with forming a mutual fund
- Counsel to exchange traded fund sponsor.
- Represented an investment adviser in launching an exchange-traded fund.
- Fund formation counsel to advisers forming private equity, venture, hedge, real estate, and other pooled investment vehicles.
- Corporate counsel to Winnebago Industries, Inc. (NYSE WGO) in its $500 million acquisition of Grand Design RV, LLC.
- Corporate counsel to Winmark Corporation (Nasdaq WINA) in its recent self-tender offers.
- Represented a purchaser in connection with acquisition of investment adviser and family of investment companies from a bank holding company.
- Advised a bank holding company on networking arrangements with investment adviser and broker-dealer.
- Regularly counsels middle market private equity funds on compliance, investment adviser registration issues, fiduciary duties to limited partners, and securities disclosure and private offering issues.
- Advised NASDAQ-listed bank holding company and its board of directors in connection with stock for stock merger transaction with prominent NYSE listed bank holding company.
Speeches and Publications
Chair, Twin Cities CFA Society’s Research Challenge, 2017-2021.
Co-Presenter, “Asset Management Megatrends, Redefining the Industry,” The Knowledge Group National Webinar.
Presenter, “Hot Topics for Private Fund Managers,” The Knowledge Group National Webinar.
Presenter, “Fiduciary Duties of Broker-Dealers and Advisers,” Lindquist & Vennum Securities Law Compliance Seminar.
Presenter, “Securities Law Aspects of Dodd-Frank, Changes to Investment Advisers,” Minnesota State Bar Association Business Law Section Executive Council Meeting.
Moderated a panel on cyber-security issues facing asset managers for the Twin Cities Institutional Registered Investment Adviser Compliance Roundtable.
Co-author, “Investment Management Update,” Ballard Spahr newsletter, April 18, 2019.
Co-author, “Investment Management Update,” Ballard Spahr newsletter, February 15, 2019.
Co-author, “Investment Management Update,” Ballard Spahr newsletter, December 11, 2018.
Co-author, “Investment Management Update,” Ballard Spahr newsletter, September 10, 2018.
Co-author, “Investment Management Update,” Ballard Spahr newsletter, July 9, 2018.
“Department of Labor Fiduciary Rule, End of the World or No Big Deal,” CFA Society Minnesota Freezing Assets Blog, May 4, 2016.
“SEC Examination 2014 Priorities, What Compliance Officers Should Expect from SEC Exams in 2014,” CFA Society Minnesota Freezing Assets Blog, April 8, 2014.
“The CFA’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct May Be More Influential Than You Think,” CFA Society Minnesota Freezing Assets Blog, October 4, 2013.
“Hostile Target Rules the Air as Delaware Chancery Court Upholds Airgas Poison Pill,” Lindquist & Vennum, The Dealmaker Counsel, March, 2010.
“Is It Time To Renew Your Prescription?,” Lindquist & Vennum, The Dealmaker Counsel, January, 2010.
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
Member (Business Law Section Chair 2020-2021)
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Twin Cities Institutional Registered Investment Advisers Compliance Roundtable
- CFA Society Minnesota
Twin Cities Chapter, Board of Directors