Jon is a member of Taft's Privacy and Data Security, Commercial Litigation, and Intellectual Property practices, and serves as the main contact for privacy-related matters in Taft's Detroit office. He is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) with the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Jon’s work focuses on the representation of companies in technology transactions and data privacy and data security matters. He has extensive experience counseling clients on a wide range of privacy, cybersecurity, and information management issues in the context of vendor/vendee agreements, data and data security issues related to mergers and acquisitions, compliance, business strategy, technology transactions, litigation, incident response preparation, insurance, data breach/incident, and regulatory compliance issues. Jon’s representation in this area includes software/cloud service providers, banks, manufacturers, restaurants, real estate and housing companies, and marketing firms.
A significant part of Jon’s practice includes advising clients in cloud computing and software as a service (SaaS) transactions. His extensive experience in this area includes counseling vendors and vendees in SaaS, PaaS and LaaS transactions involving unique issues related to interstate and cross-border regulatory and statutory compliance, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU/UK), Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), and the Data Protection Act of 2018. Jon also advises clients on navigating the various jurisdictional and compliance requirements concerning the use of data and marketing, as well as all transactions involving software development and client-side software and hardware solutions.
All Service Areas
- Washington University School of Law in St. Louis
- James Madison College at Michigan State University
- State - Michigan
- Federal - Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal - Western District of Michigan
- Negotiated and drafted the data security agreements for a global defense contractor’s information infrastructure, which included negotiation of terms for the transitioning, implementation, and maintenance of the client’s information infrastructure to a cloud infrastructure.
- Counseled three start-up companies through IPO.
- Representation of major companies, including Groupon (f/k/a The Point), Echo Global Logistics, InnerWorkings, BenchPrep, Sprout Social, Tempus, Uptake, Crestmark Bank, Ambassador, Diversified Chemical Technologies, Road to Status, Belly, United Road, Humantech, Detroit Labs, Lightbank, and Pella Windows and Doors.
Speeches and Publications
- Frequent panelist and presenter related to data security and privacy issues.
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Confidentiality Issues. Today's General Counsel, Summer 2018
- The Adoption of Blocchains and Cryptocurrencies by Charities, The Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol. 38, Issue 2 (2018)
- New Ruling by U. S. Supreme Court on Standing to Pursue Litigation - Alleging a "Mere Statutory Violation" Is Not Sufficient to Confer Article III Standing for a Federal Cause of Action, The Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol. 36, Issue 2 (2016)
- Data Privacy in Sports Marketing, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Seminar Panel Member (2017)
- State Bar of Michigan
Privacy Law Committee Member, IT Law Section
Member, Arts, Communications, Entertainment & Sports Section
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)