James is the partner-in-charge of Taft's Cincinnati office. He represents businesses, investors and entrepreneurs on a range of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financings, securities offerings and strategic partnering transactions. James also serves as outside counsel for numerous growth companies and represents private equity and venture capital firms in fund formation and portfolio company investments.
Honoree, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
"Lawyer of the Year" Honoree, Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Best Lawyers in America (2020)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate (2017 - present)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Business Organizations, Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Corporate Law (2013 - present)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Business/Corporate (2005 - 2007, 2009 - 2013)
Honoree, Leading Lawyers, Emerging Companies (2010 - present)
Forty Under 40 Honoree, Cincinnati Business Courier (2010)
Member, C-Change Leadership Program (Class of 2007)
All Service Areas
- Vanderbilt University Law School (1999)
- Vanderbilt University (1996)
- State - Ohio
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented private equity-backed telecom company in sale for $530 million.
- Represented private equity-backed family of home and apparel brands in sale for $720 million.
- Represented private equity group in recapitalization of wireless telecom company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, involving the restructuring of $3.4 billion in debt.
- Represented venture-backed software company in sale to Fortune 100 acquirer.
- Represented venture-backed cloud computing company in sale to Silicon Valley-based Fortune 1000 acquirer.
- Represented privately-held software company in sale for $75 million.
- Represented mobile communications company in sale for $45 million.
- Represented Nasdaq-traded environmental technologies company in $39 million acquisition of Netherlands-based company.
- Represented Nasdaq-traded telecom company on multiple acquisitions and strategic partnerships in the U.S. and internationally.
- Represented equity sponsor in recapitalization and sale of logistics software company.
- Represented privately-held consumer products company in sale to Fortune 100 acquirer.
- Represented private equity-backed financial services technology company in sale to publicly-held financial services conglomerate.
- Represented private investment group in acquisition and take-private of Toronto stock exchange-traded energy and natural resources company.
- Represented privately-held aircraft services and aerospace company in acquisition of division from publicly-traded international seller.
- Represented privately-held metals distribution business in multiple acquisitions.
Venture Capital and Growth Equity Transactions
- Represented privately-held SaaS company in $110 million growth equity financing.
- Represented growth equity firm with almost $500 million under management in multiple portfolio company investments in SaaS and health tech sectors.
- Represented financial services company in $25 million growth equity financing.
- Represented venture capital firm on fund formation and numerous portfolio company investments in software, internet and health tech sectors.
- Represented numerous technology companies in venture capital financings across numerous stages (Seed, Series A, B, C, etc.) and sectors (SaaS, Internet, health tech, security, life sciences, etc.).
- Represented venture capital firm in multiple venture capital investments in media technology sector.
- Represented nonprofit organization founded by major corporations in formation of $57 million venture capital fund-of-funds and in numerous underlying fund investments.
- Represented angel and seed capital investment group in fund formation and numerous portfolio company investments across a range of industries.
- Represented venture-backed technology company in venture capital investment, strategic partnership and licensing transaction with a large publicly-held media company.
- Represented telecom company in recapitalization and in debt financings totaling over $200 million.
- Represented construction company in multiple joint ventures.
- Represented developer in equity offering for $22 million real estate development project.
- Represented private investment group in acquisition of majority stake in California winery.
- American Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber of Commerce
Officer, General Counsel
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Chamber of Commerce
- Cincinnati Museum Center
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Foundation