- E firstname.lastname@example.org
- T (317) 713-3606
- F (317) 713-3699
Jim is senior counsel in Taft's Public Finance and Economic Development practice group. With more than 40 years of experience in governmental finance and law, Jim has been nationally recognized for his work at the state, county and local levels of government. He has successfully represented clients as bond counsel, tax counsel, issuer's counsel, borrower's counsel and underwriter's counsel. He has been listed as nationally recognized bond counsel in The Bond Buyer’s Municipal Marketplace (the "Redbook") for more than 30 years.
An industry leader in legal matters relating to government funding and economic development incentives, Jim has written legislation including the Indiana Property Tax Abatement Statute, Indiana Hoosier Business Investment Credit - Accelerated Statute, Indiana Urban Homestead Statute and also made critical revisions to the Indiana Unsafe Building Statute and Indiana's affordable housing property tax assessment statute.
Prior to joining Taft, Jim was a partner at a business law firm, where he provided counsel on legal matters related to public finance, income tax, tax increment financing bonds, tax-exempt bonds, economic development incentives and financing affordable housing developments. During his time there, Jim created upper-tier investment funds for both affordable housing tax credit equity investments and historic rehabilitation tax credits and has represented the upper-tier fund investments in more than 125 lower-tier development partnerships.
Jim serves as bond counsel for various types of bonds with particular emphasis on tax increment financing bonds and tax exempt affordable housing bonds coupled with 4% low income housing tax credits. He has served as bond, issuer’s or tax credit investor’s counsel on projects that have created or rehabilitated more than 30,000 affordable housing units, including bond counsel for numerous HUD Rental Housing Assistance Demonstration (RAD) projects.
He earned his J.D. from Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law and his bachelor's degree from Purdue University.
All Service Areas
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (1973)
- Purdue University (1969)
- State - Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
Served as bond counsel for more than 75 affordable housing bond issues.
- Served as tax credit equity investor's counsel for lower-tier investments for more than 125 affordable housing tax credit and historic rehabilitation tax credit projects.
- Served as counsel on the structuring and negotiation of more than 100 economic development incentive packages, including for a global aerospace company that was then the largest incentive package to-date in the state of Indiana which required amending state law in mid-legislative session to monetize tax credits up front.
- Served as bond or bank counsel on $1 billion principal amount of cash flow borrowings.
- Served as bond counsel or underwriter's counsel on over $2 billion in sports facility bond financings.
- Structured tax increment financing credit enhancements that utilized new market tax credits and bonds for a manufacturing facility and hotel and water park.
- Served as bond counsel for numerous bonds utilizing tax increment funds and local income tax.
- Established numerous tax increment financing districts and allocation areas.
- Represented tax credit investor in CReED tax credit financing for mixed use facility.
Taft Indianapolis Welcomes James Crawford to Tax Practice
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Former chairperson for the tax-exempt lease financing panel
Former chairperson of banking law issues panel
- American Bar Association
Tax and government section member
- Indiana Municipal Lawyers Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Hamilton County Bar Association
- State of Indiana
- Marion County Healthcare Center
Former board of trustees member
- Fall Creek Township
Former Fishers city board of zoning appeals president and member
- Purdue University Alumni Association
Former president of alumni class