Greg focuses his practice on employment matters principally in the areas of:
- Executive terminations
- Employment litigation
- Non-compete agreements and restraining orders
- Business litigation and contract disputes
- Employment law counseling and training
- Internal corporate investigations
- Whistleblower/Retaliation Defense
Greg is a seasoned trial lawyer and legal strategist. He has litigated and tried cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States. Greg has argued cases before the Minnesota state and federal district courts, the Minnesota Court of Appeals, the Minnesota Supreme Court, the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court for the districts of Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee and Virginia and numerous state courts. In addition, he has represented employers in cases appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
In his litigation practice, Greg represents a number of high-profile clients, major corporations and closely held businesses in the Twin Cities. Greg takes a creative approach to litigating cases and resolving disputes. He counsels on executive terminations, discipline and discharge issues, litigation risk assessment and litigation cost containment, and serves as a corporate trainer. Greg is highly experienced in conducting internal corporate investigations on a broad range of issues.
Along with other members of the firm, Greg has been involved in a number of groundbreaking cases and affirmations of employer rights in the courts.
While in law school, Greg was editor-in-chief of the William Mitchell Law Review.
Honoree, Chambers USA: Labor & Employment, Band 1
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Top 100 Lawyers in Minnesota, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine, Twin Cities Business Magazine
Top 40 Employment Law Attorney, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Honoree, Leading Minnesota Attorney
Honoree, Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Honoree, The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law
Honoree, Labor & Employment Star, Benchmark Litigation
Honoree, Leading American Attorney
- William Mitchell College of Law (1981)
- University of Minnesota (1992)
M.B.A., cum laude
- University of Minnesota, B.A. (1977)
- State - Minnesota
- State - Oklahoma
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal - 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Federal - Northern District of Georgia
- Federal - Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal - 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - Southern District of Iowa
- Federal - Northern District of Iowa
- Federal - Eastern District of Virginia
- Federal - District of Arizona
- Federal - Western District of Missouri
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Western District of Michigan
- Federal - District of Kansas
- Federal - Western District of Virginia
- Federal - Eastern District of Tennessee
- Successful jury trial: defended worldwide corrosion inhibiting chemical company against a $65 million claim by a competitor, first in Minnesota state court and then in U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Ohio, claiming 1) breach of contract, 2) declaratory judgment, 3) tortious interference with contractual relationship, 4) tortious interference with prospective economic relations, 5) deceptive trade practices, 6) common law unfair competition, 7) aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty, 8) unjust enrichment, 9) misappropriation of trade secrets, 10) false advertising, and 11) common law product disparagement. After two years of litigation, upon the close of plaintiff’s evidence, defendant moved for judgment as a matter of law and secured dismissal of all claims with prejudice.
- Successful jury trial: court ordered injunction on non-compete. At trial, jury found former sales employee breached his employment contract and was not entitled to any deferred compensation. Court ordered former employee to pay $189,000 in attorneys' fees to employer and ordered former employee to return all company documents to his possession.
- Successful jury trial: won jury verdict in favor of international food company and obtained a $90,000 judgment against plaintiff in employment discrimination lawsuit.
- Successful court trial: defeated Consumer Fraud Act claim brought by Minnesota Attorney General at trial.
- Successful jury trial: jury verdict in favor of defendant on contract claim.
- Successfully obtained injunction and an award of damages against former employee who took confidential and proprietary information.
- Successful jury trial: jury found former executive breached his fiduciary duty and engaged in financial impropriety.
- Successful jury trial: jury found in favor of high tech placement company and rejected claims by former executives.
- Successful arbitration: defended national media company at arbitration against former employee's claims of race discrimination. The arbitrator also awarded costs and disbursements against former employee in favor of media company.
- Successful jury trial: defended national media company in jury trial against former executive alleging breach of contract and fraud.
- Obtained $20 million judgment against mining company for power company following trial.
- Successful jury trial: defended energy company at jury trial against former employee on claims of national origin discrimination, among other claims. After the conclusion of the trial, the Court entered a directed verdict and dismissed all claims.
- Successful court trial: defended beer company at trial against former employee claiming age discrimination, among other claims. Court found in favor of beer company and entered judgment in its favor.
- Defeated collective action status in largest age discrimination case in United States history at the time.
- Successful jury trial: defended international cereal company at trial against former employee claiming discrimination and wrongful termination.
- Successful court trial: defended bank against account losses at trial.
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Federal Practice
- William Mitchel College of Law
Former Member, Board of Trustees (2001-2010)
Former Chair, Board of Trustees (2006-2008)
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice
Former Member, Board of Directors
Former Chair, Marketing Committee
- Walker Art Center
Member, Board of Trustees (2013-present)
Co-Chair, Collector's Council
- Minneapolis Institute of the Arts
Member, Print and Drawing Council