Gillian represents clients ranging from closely held businesses to Fortune 100 companies across various industries and throughout every phase of commercial litigation. In her practice, she handles complex disputes involving breach of contract, consumer and business torts, trade secrets, labor and employment disputes, commercial and equipment loan enforcement, judgment enforcement and collection, and trademark infringement.
Understanding the effect litigation can have on a business, Gillian advises clients on strategies to minimize exposure, attain favorable settlements, and achieve other alternative dispute resolutions to avoid unnecessary litigation.
When litigation is necessary, Gillian has the experience needed to protect her client’s interests throughout the process. She has successfully represented clients before trial and appellate courts, the International Chamber of Commerce, International Court of Arbitration, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois Department of Labor, and Illinois Department of Employment Security.
Gillian’s litigation practice includes a focus on biometric privacy issues, specifically relating to the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA). She navigates emerging compliance issues and counsels clients on insurance coverage and claims options. With the increased risk of BIPA class-action litigation, Gillian brings her experience representing clients in class actions across a wide range of legal issues to effectively defend clients at trial, throughout pre-trial litigation, and during pre-litigation dispute resolution.
Honoree, Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Business Litigation (2021 – 2022)
Honoree, Leading Lawyers Network
PAWS Animal Welfare Leadership Award
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (2008)
J.D., cum laude
- Miami University (2005)
B.A., cum laude, Political Science
- State - Illinois
- State - Ohio
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- Federal - Central District of Illinois
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
Speeches and Publications
- Moderator, “Succession Planning,” IADC Leadership Forum, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), April 26, 2023.
- Speaker, Chicago Bar Association: the Pincus Professional Education 9th Annual Circuit Court Boot Camp: The Nuts and Bolts, December 2019.
- Speaker, Biometric Privacy Online Course, June 2019.
- Co-Author, “Biometric Security Brings Benefits to Companies, But Also Legal Concerns,” BizTech Magazine, May 2019.
- Quoted, “Hahn Loeser Forms Ill. Biometric Privacy Practice Group, Law360, March 2019.
- Co-Author, “Biometric Technologies Create Big Liabilities,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, March 2019.
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Chicago Leadership Alliance