Gary is a business lawyer with extensive experience in private equity, venture capital, and, more specifically, fund formation and joint ventures. He has represented fund sponsors and management teams in the structuring, negotiating, and closing of both general and industry-specific global and domestic funds, including buyout, mezzanine/sub-debt, venture capital, and later stage private equity funds. Gary has significant experience structuring management companies and advising private equity and venture capital professionals on internal governance and economic arrangements.
Gary represents small, mid-market, and larger private equity funds and their sponsors, with transactions ranging from several million to more than a billion dollars. He has represented secondary funds, bank-affiliated funds, SBIC-licensed funds, and funds utilizing CDO/CLO structures.
In addition, Gary advises fund and non-fund sponsors, lead investors, family offices, and co-investors with respect to their fund and/or portfolio investments, including seed stage and growth stage venture financing involving equity, debt, convertible notes, and SAFE instruments.
Honoree, Leading Lawyers Network (2020)
All Service Areas
- University of Illinois College of Law
magna cum laude
- University of Notre Dame
B.B.A., with highest honors
- State - Illinois
- Represented a venture capital firm in the formation of multiple primary and co-investment funds with approximately $1.5 billion in capital commitments to make preferred equity investments in biotechnology companies.
- Represented a solar energy sponsor in a joint venture involving both equity and debt investments in excess of $1.0 billion from several institutional investors.
- Represented several angel investor groups and incubators/accelerators in their investments and their transition to “fund”-based investment strategies, ranging in size from $500,000 to over $25 million.
- Represented several “fundless” venture capital firms in the formation of multiple investment vehicles to make early stage investments in technology companies.
- Represented large family office as lead investor in global PE/VC funds, including relating to fund agreements, side letters, co-investments, and ancillary agreements and matters.
- Represented a cannabis fund sponsor in the formation of its venture capital fund and management company, as well as its portfolio investments.
- Represented a Fortune 500 telecommunications company in several of its strategic fund investments, to support the development and implementation of its own technology.
- Represented a founder/CEO of a technology company in his fund-raising efforts and arrangements with venture capital investors.
- Represented private equity and venture capital investment professionals in their admission to, and separation from, private equity and venture capital firms.
- Represented a venture capital fund and co-investors in a Series A investment into an early stage medical device company.
- Represented a founder/CEO of an online pharmacy company in his governance and economic arrangements with venture capital sponsor/investors.
- Represented a microbrewery in its capital raise and formation, as well as operational matters.