Ed concentrates his practice on corporate banking, trust and other relevant transactions. His clients include banking, construction, real estate and industrial entities, ranging from small to those with sales and assets in the multimillion dollar range.
Ed has been awarded an AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethical standards and legal ability. In addition, he was recognized in the Banking area by Illinois Super Lawyers every year from 2009 – 2013 and has been named to the Leading Lawyers Illinois network in the Banking area every year since 2005.
Ed is a frequent lecturer for Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE), Chicago Bar Association CLE programs, the Illinois Land Trust Council, the Illinois Bankers Association, Community Bankers Association of Illinois and various accounting and trade groups. Ed is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association Section on Commercial Banking and Bankruptcy Law and the Chicago Bar Association Committee on Financial Institutions. He is also a former chair for the Chicago Bar Association Land Trust Subcommittee.
- Representation of existing banks and trust companies and their shareholders in all facets, including employment and labor, regulatory and organizational matters, litigation, loan documentation, securities offerings, and enforcements of creditors’ rights.
- Representation of corporate and bank/bank holding company clients in sales, mergers, acquisitions and restructures.
- Reviewing and counseling financial institutions with regard to their vendor contracts with third party vendors, specifically focusing on the vendors’ required compliance with privacy issues and being subject to regulatory review by the financial institutions’ regulators.
- Representation of a bank that received a fraudulent wire transfer instructions and incurred a financial loss.
- Representation of a manufacturing/distribution company regarding fraudulent incidents that compromised customer information.
All Service Areas
- DePaul University College of Law (1973)
- St. Mary of the Lake Seminary (1968)
- Federal - 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Central District of Illinois
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- State - Illinois
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
Speeches and Publications
- “Credit Card Collection Suits; Life Preservers for Illinois Consumers,” Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 100, No. 7, p360, July 2012 (with co-author Rachel L. Schaller)
- “365/360 Claims and Defenses of Commercial Debtors”, Seminar for the Community Bank Attorney, Community Bankers Association of Illinois, 2010
- “Mortgage and Conveyancing Fraud”, Seminar for the Community Bank Attorney, Community Bankers Association of Illinois, 2008
- “Loan Participation and Other Multi-Party Lending Situations”, Seminar for the Community Bank Attorney, Community Bankers Association of Illinois, 2007
- Illinois State Bar Association
Member, Section on Commercial Banking and Bankruptcy Law
- Chicago Bar Association
Member, Committee on Financial Institutions
Former Chair, Land Trust Subcommittee
- Illinois State Banker's Association
- American Bar Association
Former Committee Member