Dave is a partner and chair of the Health Care and Life Sciences practice group. He is based in Taft's Minneapolis office, from which he represents health care enterprises across the United States. His practice focuses on transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate restructurings and regulatory counseling including Stark and Anti-Kickback compliance, CMS enrollment, billing and CHOW matters, tax-exemption principles, False Claims Act matters and corporate practice of medicine and dentistry.
With more than 30 years of experience in health care law, including serving as health care practice leader for an AmLaw 100 law firm, Dave serves as primary outside counsel to a number of health systems, for whom he provides counsel on strategic transactions, such as facility acquisitions, joint ventures and physician alignment arrangements. He also advises medical practices (including cardiology, OB-GYN, pulmonology, orthopedics, urology and general surgery), dental practices, hospice programs, home care providers, ambulatory surgery centers, eating disorder treatment centers and other providers on corporate and transactional matters such as acquisitions, divestitures and recapitalizations.
Dave also advises health maintenance organizations (HMOs) and other payers on both insurance regulatory matters and transactions, including payer acquisition of care delivery assets. He regularly represents health care investors, such as private equity funds, in transactional and compliance matters. Overall, Dave has successfully completed more than 175 health care transactions in more than 30 states.
Dave earned his J.D. from Vanderbilt Law School, where he was an articles editor for the Vanderbilt Law Review. He obtained his master's degree from the University of Minnesota and his bachelor's degree from Carleton College. Dave has presented at many national health care conferences, including American Health Lawyers Association seminars, has taught graduate-level health law at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health, and has been interviewed or quoted on Minnesota Public Radio, in the Minneapolis StarTribune, the St. Paul Pioneer Press, and other publications.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law (2011 - present)
Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law (2014)
Honoree, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Top Health Care Attorneys Honoree, Minnesota Physician
Honoree, Minnesota Business, Business Partners Dream Team-Health Care
All Service Areas
- Vanderbilt University Law School (1987)
Order of the Coif
- University of Minnesota (1984)
- Carleton College (1982)
- State - Minnesota
- Advised Minnesota health system on multiple hospital and physician practice acquisitions, including 150-physician multi-specialty group.
- Advised Midwest health system on outpatient imaging center joint venture with radiology group practice.
- Served as lead counsel for an Oklahoma integrated health system in acquisition of cardiology practice.
- Served as principal outside counsel to Virginia health system on multiple transactions, including service line management ventures.
- Represented 120-physician, multi-specialty group in its acquisition by Minnesota hospital system.
- Served as lead lawyer on sale of one million member California health maintenance organization (HMO).
- Served as counsel to a prominent healthcare focused private equity fund in its purchase of a multi-state eating disorders treatment center.
- Negotiated key governance issues, drafted an affiliation agreement and obtained critical government approvals for the consolidation of a multi-state regional health care system.
- Serves as general counsel to one of the largest independent dentistry practices in the United States.
- Serves as lead counsel in start-up, funding (“Series A and B” rounds) and sale of mobile urgent care provider.
- Led strategic planning initiative of Midwest family medicine residency program, affiliated medical school and collective teaching hospitals.
Speeches and Publications
Contributor, "The Healthcare Executive's Guide to Physician-Hospital Alignment" (Jan. 2013)
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association