Drawing on his experiences as a deal lawyer and former Big Four accountant, David advises companies and investors on both tax and legal matters arising during key events in the corporate life cycle, including business and fund formation, joint ventures, capital raising transactions, and mergers and acquisitions.
David assists for-profit and tax-exempt entities and individuals across industries to ensure new businesses, ventures, acquisitions, and capital raising activities achieve the most favorable tax treatment in light of the proposed business activities and current tax law. He also assists hedge funds, private equity funds, REITs and their investors in tax matters arising during the life cycle of the fund (or investment). Representative transactions include both closed and open-ended private equity and hedge fund formation, REIT formation, acquisitions and dispositions, private and public tax-free reorganizations, acquisitions requiring tax-free equity rollover for founders, capital raises in qualified opportunity zones, acquisition, and disposition of qualified small business stock, like-kind exchanges and tax-driven internal restructurings.
Mergers and Acquisitions, Venture Capital, and Emerging Companies
David advises companies and investors in the acquisition, sale, and restructuring of businesses. His deal experience ranges from representing sellers of family-owned businesses to representing private funds and publicly traded companies in their formation, acquisition, and divestiture activities. David specializes in assisting founders of emerging companies and their investors through the venture capital raising process with a goal of ensuring that company growth plans, founder and employee equity incentives, and investor goals align.
David received his law degree, graduating cum laude, from Indiana University Maurer School of Law and a LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law. He earned his undergraduate degree double-majoring in finance and accounting, graduating cum laude, from the University of Miami. David is a certified public accountant (New York, license is currently inactive).
All Service Areas
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (2013)
J.D., cum laude
- New York University School of Law (2016)
- University of Miami (2010)
B.B.A., Finance and Accounting, cum laude
- State - Indiana
- State - New York
- Federal - U.S. Tax Court
Speeches and Publications
- "O-Zone Ready: A Community Workshop," New Orleans Business Alliance, November 2019.
- "Qualified Opportunity Zones: The Current State of Affairs," Indianapolis Bar Association CLE, November 2019.
- "Corporate Formation, Taxes & Employee Ownership," Purdue Foundry Speaker Series, December 2016.
- "A Primer on Qualified Opportunity Zones," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, June 2021.
- "Supreme Court Decides Rodriguez v. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation," JD Supra, February 2020.
- Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic
Volunteer, Low-Income Tax Clinic