Chris Brown is an associate in the litigation practice group with experience in Securities Litigation, M&A Litigation, Bankruptcy Litigation, Antitrust, and Tax Controversy.
Prior to joining Taft, Chris was an attorney at Sullivan & Cromwell, one of the oldest and most prestigious law firms in New York City. While there, his practice focused on litigation and regulatory matters. Chris was a law clerk under the Honorable David S. Doty with the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota.
Chris earned his J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School where he was an articles editor for the Minnesota Law Review. He earned his Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy from Conception Seminary College receiving the Baily Bales Award for Excellence in Philosophy.
All Service Areas
- University of Minnesota Law School (2016)
J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Conception Seminary College (2010)
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, summa cum laude
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Federal - U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Federal - U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Federal - U.S. Tax Court
- State - Minnesota
- State - New York
- Represented a Canadian cannabis company and individual directors in a securities class action alleging violations of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and advised on parallel Canadian securities suit.
- Represented an investment bank in a class action in the Delaware Court of Chancery alleging aiding-and-abetting breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented defendants and counterclaimants in action alleging breach of stock purchase agreement.
- Represented international automotive company in responding to a Second Request from the Department of Justice.
- Represented secured creditor in action by an unsecured creditor seeking equitable subordination and subsequent appeal by unsecured creditor seeking reversal of bankruptcy court’s dismissal.
- Represented Trustee in action disputing IRS determination that the estate owed hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes and penalties.
Criminal Defense and Internal Investigations
- Represented financial institution in relation to DOJ/SEC investigation concerning sales practices.
- Assisted financial institution in conducting an internal investigation of managers related to broader federal investigation into alleged fraudulent conduct.
Other Regulatory Investigations
- Advised multiple companies in responding to FINRA inquiries related to reviews of trading in company stock prior to announcement of potential transactions.
- Represented NYCHA tenant in housing court proceeding seeking an order requiring NYCHA to correct multiple housing violations, including a leaking and collapsing ceiling.
- American Bar Association
Business Law Section
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Business Law Section
Civil Litigation Section