Barry has approximately 30 years of extensive legal experience in the areas of health care, government relations and public finance. His expertise also includes healthcare information technology and tax-exemption/not-for-profit law. He is also well known for his experience with government and government regulations. He has served as Executive Director of the Illinois Health Facilities Authority, a state bond issuer for hospitals, long term health care facilities and other borrowers. Additionally, he previously served as Director of the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services coordinating Medicaid, health reform, statewide health care purchasing, and child support services. In addition to his extensive private practice experience, he has served in senior positions under both Democrat and Republican administrations.
Barry's representations have included a wide range of organizations—including but not limited to—major medical centers, hospitals, long term care facilities, physician groups, ambulatory surgical treatment centers, health plans, managed care organizations, community providers, federal qualified health centers and rural health centers, trade associations, pharmaceutical companies, banks, underwriters, bond issuers, and borrowers.
Barry received the National Governor's Association Award for Distinguished Service in State Government.
Honoree, Leading Lawyers
Award for Distinguished Service in State Government Honoree, National Governor's Association
All Service Areas
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law
- University of Chicago, Harris School of Public Policy (M.A., with honors, health care policy emphasis)
- University of Illinois, Chicago
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- State - Florida
- State - Illinois
Speeches and Publications
Among the presentations that Barry has given on health care-related topics to professional groups and associations are:
- Continuum of Long Term Care, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (2002)
- World Health Care Executive Forum Presenter on Managing Chronic Illnesses Through Health Care Delivery Systems (2008)
- Rural Route to Healthcare Financing
- Numerous healthcare presentations throughout Illinois and nationally while serving as state Director of the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law Member, Board of Overseers; Adjunct Professor
- Forty-Fourth Ward Democratic Party, Chicago, Illinois President