Clients in all sectors seek Tom’s guidance when they are confronted with “impossible” business challenges. Tom doesn’t see problems or challenges like the rest. Instead, he is a creative and effective problem solver who thinks outside the box to get results. Tom represents privately-held businesses and their owners through a wide range of services, enabling growth and expansion and navigating change across numerous industries.
Tom brings his interdisciplinary and inventive approach to a wide range of issues, including shareholder and corporate governance disputes, contractual matters, international operations, banking, insurance, employee relations and asset-protection strategies. He assists business owners through the mergers and acquisitions process by drawing on his significant business and tax experience.
Beyond his role as a counselor to their businesses, Tom helps high-net-worth individuals achieve their estate and succession planning goals. While obtaining significant experience representing trustees and beneficiaries in probate and trust disputes, he has also developed strategies for tax minimization and asset protection. Tom begins with the “exit strategy” when working with family business owners, allowing clients to work backwards to plan for an eventual sale or transition the family business for future generations.
Tom currently serves as a board member for Republic Bank of Chicago, and he previously served as a board member of the Alzheimer’s Association and as vice chairman of the board at the National Hellenic Museum, an institution he was instrumental in founding. He has taught Taxation for Closely Held Businesses as an adjunct professor for the LL.M. Tax Program at The John Marshall Law School. In 2013, Tom was recognized by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin as a “40 under 40” lawyer to watch.
All Service Areas
- DePaul University College of Law (1998)
- DePaul University College of Law, LL.M. in Taxation (2000)
- DePaul University – Charles H. Kellstadt Graduate School of Business, M.B.A. (1998)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1995)
- State - Illinois
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- Hellenic Bar Association of Illinois (Past president and active member)
- American Bar Association (former chair of the Closely Held Businesses Committee)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth