David R. Tavolier and J. Donald Mottley participated in the 59th Annual Cleveland Tax Institute, which took place Nov. 30-Dec. 1. Sponsored by the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, the Cleveland Tax Institute is Cleveland's longest running tax CLE.
Tavolier, chair of Taft’s Tax group and chairperson of the Tax Institute, welcomed attendees each morning with opening remarks. Mottley served as panel chair for the State and Local Tax Update on Nov. 30.
Other topics covered over the two days included:
- Current Developments and Washington Update
- Pass-Through Entities: New Partnership Audit Rules, New Regulations Under 707 and 752 and Partnership Merger and Division Rules
- Tax Procedure and Controversy: General Update, Employment Taxes, Section 2704 Proposed Regulations and IC-DISCs
- Corporate Tax and Related Topics
- What Small/Closely-Held Business Advisors Need to Know About International Tax
- Retirement Benefits: Department of Labor’s Final Fiduciary Rule Effective April 2017
- Tax Exempt Organizations: Charitable Giving Options and Private Foundation Exit Strategies
Tavolier focuses his practice on general tax matters, particularly mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, and partnership and limited liability company formations, liquidations and reorganizations.
Mottley concentrates his practice on state and local tax matters, tax issues involving non-profit organizations, tax controversies (federal, state and local), and public agency law.
For more information about the Tax Institute, click here.