In compiling this Policy, we have taken steps to ensure we have incorporated the standards and principles outlined in data collection and privacy frameworks, including the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). This Policy describes:
- The types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website https://www.taftlaw.com/ (the “Website”) as well as any websites and blogs directly owned by Taft (“our Websites”).
- Our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information in the practice of providing information about the Firm and marketing efforts.
Please read this Policy carefully to understand Taft’s policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with Taft’s policies and practices, then please do not use our Websites. By using our Websites, you agree to the terms of this Policy. This Policy may change from time to time (see below, “Changes to this Policy”). Your continued use of our Websites after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Policy periodically for updates.
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
Our Website and Firm collect both personal information and other information as described in this Policy. “Personal Information” is any information that can be used to individually identify you from a larger group, and may include details such as:
- First and Last Name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Mailing address
Taft communicates through the Website for marketing and informational purposes. Taft’s use of Personal Information obtained through the Website and in the Firm’s marketing databases is separate and independent from use of Personal Information in our attorney-client relationships. All client information is processed in strict accordance with our engagement letters and applicable ethical standards governing that attorney-client relationship. Questions regarding the Firm’s use of your Personal Information involved in any attorney-client relationship should be directed to your Taft attorney.
To ensure that Taft provides you with the best possible experience, Taft will store, use, and share information that we collect in accordance with this Policy. For example, when you request information, subscribe to our newsletters, or send a message to us through the Website, we will ask you to provide Personal Information to complete these transactions.
Information You Provide to Us
The sort of information that you provide in each instance will vary and could include Personal Information. In some cases you will also provide additional information, such as whatever content you choose to include in a message to us through the Website.
Automatic Information Collection
Do Not Track Disclosure
Other than as disclosed in this Policy, we do not track customers over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising, and therefore do not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include Personal Information.
Children’s Information and Privacy
Taft does not actively seek to gather information from individuals under the age of eighteen. We do not target the Website to children, and would not expect them to be engaging with our Websites or services. We encourage parents and guardians to provide adequate protection measures to prevent children from providing information unwillingly on the internet. If we are aware of any Personal Information that we have collected about children, we will endeavor to delete it.
How We Use Your Information
The information we gather and you provide is collected and used to improve our service to you and your experience when engaging with our Websites and our services. For example, We may use your information to:
- Prevent malicious activity and provide you with a secure experience;
- Provide marketing communications that are effective and optimized for you;
- Keep you up-to-date with the latest news and events from Taft;
- Avoid sending you something that will not be of interest;
- Learn about your behavior and try to improve what we do for your benefit;
Although we use your name and email address to inform you about upcoming events and news related to Taft, you can always unsubscribe from receiving any marketing emails via the unsubscribe option in any such marketing you receive from us.
How We Share Your Information
We do not share Personal Information outside of Taft, unless it is under one of the following circumstances:
- Comply with any law, regulations, subpoena, or court order;
- Investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud, or other malicious activity;
- Enforce/protect the rights and properties of Taft; or
- Protect the rights or personal safety of Taft employees.
Your Choices and Selecting Your Privacy Preferences
Email newsletters will not be sent to you unless you consent to receive such a newsletter. After you request to receive these emails, you may opt out of receiving them by selecting the “Unsubscribe” link, or by following the opt-out instructions included in each email communication.
Access to and Accuracy of Your Information
Taft strives to maintain and process your information accurately. We have processes in place to maintain all of our information in accordance with relevant frameworks and take steps to monitor its accuracy. To view and change the Personal Information that you directly provided, you can contact us directly for assistance.
For Website Visitors in the European Union (“EU”)
You can exercise any of the following rights by notifying us as described below:
- Access: You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of the personal data our Website currently contains.
- Correction or Rectification: You can correct what personal data our Website currently contains by emailing us at email@example.com to request that we correct or rectify any personal data that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
- Restrict Processing: When applicable you may restrict the processing of your personal data by submitting a request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please explain how you wish Taft to restrict processing of your personal data. When such restrictions are not possible, Taft will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Policy, to include withdrawing your consent to the processing of your personal data.
- Object to Processing: When applicable, you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data by submitting a request via email to email@example.com. When such objections are not possible, Taft will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Policy, to include withdrawing your consent to the processing of your personal data.
- Portability: Upon request, and when possible, Taft can provide you with copies of your personal data. You may submit a request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. When such a request cannot be honored, Taft will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Policy, to include withdrawing your consent.
- Withdraw Consent: At any time, you may withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data through this Website by notifying us via email at email@example.com. Using the same email address you have provided to Taft, simply type the words “WITHDRAW CONSENT” in the subject line of your email. Upon receipt of such a withdrawal of consent, Taft will confirm receipt and proceed to stop processing your personal data.
- Erasure: If you should wish to cease use of our Website and have your personal data deleted from our Website, then you may submit a request by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt of such a request for erasure, Taft will confirm receipt and will confirm once your personal data has been deleted.
Keeping Your Personal Information Secure
Taft has implemented commercially reasonable measures designed to secure any information, both Personal Information and non-Personal Information, stored by the Website against accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. We employ physical, technical, and administrative procedures to safeguard the information that we collect to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure. When we collect or transmit information over the internet, we protect it through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol. All of our information is stored in secure facilities with limited access and stringent security procedures.
If you are currently our client, we will comply with all applicable ethical rules regarding privacy and confidentiality.
Connecting with Social Media Networks
We may provide features on our Websites that allow you to share and connect through social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. These features connect with the services provided by the social networks and therefore the privacy controls in place are those of the social networks. We encourage that you, before engaging with any of these tools, review the privacy settings of your social profiles and also to read the privacy policies of the networks in question. These social features often store information about you and the things that you share or comment upon.
If you share any of your Personal Information through a public forum or social network enabled feature on our Websites this information could be read by anyone. Taft therefore is not responsible for the Personal Information you choose to submit in these forums and any access to or use of that information.
Changes to the Policy
How to Contact Us
Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP
In your correspondence, please ensure that you write “PRIVACY” in your subject line so that it is routed in a timely and efficient manner.
Last revised: 05/25/2018