Renewable Energy Companies
Renewable energy has become a prominent part of the global energy industry. Corporations, utilities and municipalities need legal service to determine the best sites for renewable energy development, navigate state and regulatory commission positions, and support negotiations in power purchase agreements.
Taft’s energy attorneys offer effective strategic and comprehensive counsel to corporations, associations, utilities and municipalities in various locations throughout the United States. Our team is well positioned to advise clients on all aspects of the renewable energy arena including solar, biomass, wind, the electric industries, hydroelectric and natural gas projects. We have experience supporting clients who seek renewable energy certificates and investment tax credits.
Our team is uniquely qualified to provide the highest quality and most efficient legal solutions to our clients. We work with renewable energy developers and utilities throughout the entire process – from land acquisition for a new facility, guidance through regulatory hurdles, to negotiating and finalizing interconnection agreements and power purchase agreements. Our team actively monitors states in order to determine if they may be receptive to renewable energy development. This allows us to then advise our clients on the jurisdictional position a state may take in the development process.
Taft’s energy attorneys have experience assisting clients with issues, including:
- Siting of electric generation and transmission facilities and pipeline projects.
- Regulatory matters under PURPA and the FERC.
- Purchase and sale of electricity and electric generation facilities.
- Purchase, sale and distribution of natural gas.
- Review and draft various types of renewable energy arrangements involving solar, wind and biomass.
- Represent clients in federal and state litigation over renewable energy development and regulatory compliance.
- Negotiation of PPA’s IA’s and contracts related to the site development or project and financing for the development or project.
- Advise clients regarding ITC’s, REC’s and tax issues.
- Negotiate joint public and private agreements for installation and development of biomass waste-to-energy facilities.
- Negotiating PPA’s and IA’s for large acre solar farm development.
Taft’s energy attorneys are able to draw upon the experience and knowledge of other practice group attorneys, including the firm’s environmental and real estate attorneys.
- Negotiated a public-private biomass energy project agreement intended to reduce the disposal solid waste into Ohio's largest public landfill.
- Represent and advise energy developers in the southeast and midwest areas of the U.S. on IAs, PPAs and related development issues.