As a member of Taft’s Employment Law practice group, Sukrat provides strategic legal guidance to employers in Illinois and Indiana. He has experience in identifying workplace best practices and policies, drafting employee handbooks, and handling internal employee claims.
Sukrat is an experienced litigator and counselor for employers. He has defended and prosecuted lawsuits in Indiana, Illinois, and federal courts in Indiana and Illinois. From pre-litigation through trial, Sukrat has handled the gamut of employment-related litigation including restrictive covenant disputes, discrimination claims, wage and hour claims, employment-contract claims, and employment-related defamation claims. Sukrat has also defended dozens of Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) and EEOC employment discrimination claims in Illinois and Indiana.
In Sukrat’s former role as an attorney at a national law firm in Chicago, he gained experience in a wide range of litigation matters, including commercial and tort matters, land trust litigation, condemnation proceedings, contract disputes, and premises liability defense for some of the world’s largest retail corporations. This wide-ranging litigation experience has given Sukrat keen insights into successfully navigating complex litigation--particularly in the employment-law sphere.
Sukrat earned his J.D. from Indiana University McKinney School of Law, where he served as editor-in-chief of the Indiana International and Comparative Law Review, and his bachelor’s degree from the University of Windsor in Ontario, Canada. He is fluent in English, Hindi, and Urdu.
Honoree, Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America, 2021
All Service Areas
- Indiana University - Robert H. McKinney School of Law (2014)
- University of Windsor (2010)
bachelor's degree, Criminology and Philosophy
- State - Illinois
- State - Indiana
- Federal - United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Federal - U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Federal - Central District of Illinois
- Federal - Southern District of Illinois
Speeches and Publications
- “Shout for Freedom to Curse at the Kingdom: Contrasting Thai Lèse-majesté Laws with US First Amendment Freedoms,” Indiana International and Comparative Law Review (2014)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association of Chicago
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Chicago
- Military Commission Observation Project
Advisory council member
- 3222 W. Beach Condominium Association