Stephen is a patent agent in Taft’s Indianapolis office and is registered to practice before the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO). His extensive experience includes patent preparation and prosecution, litigation support and drafting opinions related to the electrical and mechanical arts.
Prior to private practice, Stephen worked at General Motors where he managed and led engineering teams to develop advanced technology solutions. While at GM, he gained more than 15 years of engineering experience with complex electro-mechanical systems including hybrid/electric vehicle control systems, PEM fuel cells and advanced energy storage systems.
Stephen earned his undergraduate degree in electrical engineering technology from Purdue University – Indianapolis. He has a M.B.A. in the management of technology from Ellis University in Chicago. Stephen is licensed to represent both U.S. and non-U.S. clients before the USPTO. He serves as president of Winning Experiences, a non-profit that offers enlightening cultural, educational and social opportunities that transforms the way individuals perceive their abilities, possibilities and environments.
In 2017, Stephen was the recipient of the Center for Leadership Development's Distinguished Achievement Award.
All Service Areas
- Ellis University (M.B.A, Management of Technology) (2009)
- Purdue University - Indianapolis (B.S., Electrical Engineering Technology) (2000)
- Federal - United States Patent and Trademark Office
Speeches and Publications
- Co-author, "Patentability Challenges for Artificial Intelligence Based Inventions: An Examination Viewpoint," AIPLA Spring Conference White Paper, Spring 2018
- “Circulation Check for Fuel Cell Coolant” U.S. Patent No. 8,158,296; April 17, 2012
- “Homogenous Thermal Coolant Cycling” U.S. Patent No.7,906,244; March 15, 2011
- “Circulation Check for Fuel Cell Coolant” U.S. Patent No. 7,781,113; April 24, 2010
- “Control Apparatus to Improve Start Up Time In A PEM Fuel Cell Power Module” U.S. Publication No. US20060099469; May 11, 2006
- American Intellectual Property Law Association Member, Patent Agent Committee; Executive Committee; Co-Chair, Program Planning Committee
- Venture Club of Indiana Member
- Winning Experiences President