Steve's practice is focused on commercial litigation. He routinely represents clients in all aspects of civil trial and appellate litigation, alternative dispute resolution and professional responsibility. Steve enjoys a reputation among his peers and his clients as one of the top litigators in Columbus. A fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, Steve has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America as a “go to lawyer” for “Bet-the-Company” litigation. Ohio Super Lawyers lists Steve as one of the ‘Top 50 Columbus Super Lawyers' and one of the ‘Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers.’ Steve frequently serves as a court appointed mediator in the U.S. District Court (Southern District) and is known for his practical, creative approach to resolving disputes.
Honoree, Chambers USA, General Commercial Litigation
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation & Bet-the-Company Litigation (1999 - present)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2004 – present)
AV Peer Review Rated (Preeminent), Martindale-Hubbell
“Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers” and "Top 50 Columbus Super Lawyers" Honoree, Super Lawyers
Honoree, Multiple years of service as court appointed ADR mediator, U.S. District Court (Southern District of Ohio)
All Service Areas
- The Ohio State University College of Law (1973)
- The Ohio State University, B.A. (1970)
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- State - Ohio
- Trial and Appellate Counsel for nonprofit wholesale municipal power supplier against international engineering and construction company in U.S. District Court seeking recovery of multimillion dollar damages resulting from termination of project to construct coal-fired power plant.
- Lead Counsel, including argument before the United States Supreme Court, on behalf of retail natural gas suppliers in their constitutional challenge to Ohio’s taxation of natural gas sales.
- Obtained judgment for regional alarm company against national telecommunications company after two-week trial for damages resulting from prolonged failure to provide adequate service.
- Obtained judgment for damages and attorney fees for manufacturer of electric power controllers against competitor in civil contempt action in U.S. District Court for violation of previously entered consent decree.
- Represented regional short-line railroad company in successfully defending decision of Ohio Rail Development Commission awarding contract for operation of state-owned rail line in two extended trials and multiple appeals over five year period.
- Represented manufacturer of china in successfully defending breach of contract action brought by natural gas supplier in trial in U.S. District Court and subsequent appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Obtained judgment for compensatory and punitive damages for national electric equipment manufacturer against former plant manager who, along with third-party, developed a scheme to obtain fraudulent payments from company based upon falsified invoices and inventory records.
- Represented special litigation committee of board of directors of national drug distribution company in evaluating multi-million dollar settlement of multiple shareholder derivative actions against company officers and directors.
- Represented nonprofit wholesale municipal power supplier in litigation and multi-day mediation against issuer of contractor surety bond, resulting in settlement in excess of $2.5 million.
Speeches and Publications
- Continuing Legal Education lecturer in the area of civil litigation, ethics and professionalism
- Guest instructor at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law in areas of civil litigation, mediation and trial practice
- Plaintiff Attorney, Commerce Energy, Inc. v. Levin, 554 F.3d 1094 (C.A. 6, Feb. 4, 2009), Tax Exemptions for Local Gas Distributors Challenged, summary by The Judicial View
- Author: "Mediation 101: Exploring Alternative Dispute Resolution" CWS Newsletter, Vol. 2, 2011
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Columbus Bar Association
Former Member, Board of Governors (1989 - 1996)
Former President (1994 - 1995)
- Columbus Bar Foundation
Former Member, Board of Trustees (1998 - 2004)
Former President (2003 - 2004)
- Federal Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Member, Council of Delegates1990-2006
- Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Group for the U.S. District Court (S.D. Ohio)
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules of Practice Advisory Committee