Sam is a business attorney who represents publicly and privately held companies, as well as private equity firms and their portfolio companies, in a broad range of matters. He advises clients on structuring and negotiating leveraged buyouts and other complex transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures, along with corporate restructurings and recapitalizations. In addition, Sam counsels companies on corporate governance matters.
Prior to joining Taft, Sam was a corporate partner at Kirkland & Ellis.
Sam earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from Northwestern University School of Law, where he was associate editor of the Northwestern University Law Review. He received his B.A., magna cum laude, in history and German from Indiana University.
Sam is admitted to practice in Ohio and Illinois.
- Northwestern University School of Law (2015)
magna cum laude
Order of the Coif
- Indiana University (2011)
B.A. in history and German, magna cum laude
- State - Ohio
- State - Illinois
- Represented Lite Tech in its combination with Burlington Medical, resulting in the world’s largest, vertically integrated radiation protection provider.
- Represented Smile Doctors, the largest and fastest growing orthodontics-focused dental support organization in the U.S., in connection with an investment in Smile Doctors by Thomas H. Lee Partners.
- Represented Trinity Life Sciences, a consulting firm that provides strategy, insights, and analytics for clients in the life sciences industry, in the sale of a majority interest in Trinity to Kohlberg & Co.
- Represented Insignia Capital Group in its investment in MediaAlpha, a pioneer in programmatic advertising platforms for native search and metasearch media.
- Represented Parthenon Capital in its investment in DaySmart Software, a provider of integrated business management software to the salon, pet care, spa, and tattoo industries.
- Represented HHAeXchange, the leading provider of homecare management solutions for payers, providers, and state Medicaid agencies, in the sale of a minority interest in HHA to Hg Capital.
- Represented Insignia Capital Group in its investment in Market Performance Group, a provider of sales strategy, account management, data and analytics, and consulting services to health, personal care, food, and other CPG brands across brick and mortar and e-commerce retail channels.
- Represented Highmetric (now known as NewRocket) in Highmetric's acquisition of NewRocket, Fishbone Analytics, and Iceberg Networks, which acquisitions resulted in the creation of the largest pure-play ServiceNow partner in the world.
- Represented Wind Point Partners in its acquisition of Zone Mechanical, a provider of refrigeration and HVAC mechanical services to the grocery, convenience store, and warehouse industries.
- Represented Accel-KKR in its investment in Aircraft Technical Publishers, a leading provider of aviation software solutions and information services.
- Represented Trinity Life Sciences, a consulting firm that provides strategy, insights, and analytics for clients in the life sciences industry, in its acquisitions of BluePrint Research Group and CBPartners.
- Represented Sun Capital Partners in its acquisition of Miami Beach Medical Group, a provider of primary care, specialty care, and ancillary services to Medicare Advantage patients in Florida.
- Represented Pritzker Private Capital in its recapitalization of Energy Distribution Partners, a leading propane distribution company in North America.
- Represented Gryphon Investors in its recapitalization of 3Cloud, a provider of strategic advisory and technical services for the Microsoft Azure cloud platform.
- Represented 3Cloud in its acquisitions of Applied Cloud, Pragmatic Works Consulting and Polaris Solutions.
- Represented Parthenon Capital in its investment in RxSense, a healthcare technology company that utilizes its proprietary technology platform to provide prescription savings solutions to consumers and pharmacy benefits administration and analytics to enterprise customers.
- Represented PMA, a financial and advisory services firm, in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Miles Capital.
- Represented Olympus Partners in its carve-out acquisition of healthcare services outsourcing platform Soliant Health from Adecco Group for $612 million.
- Represented Zelis Healthcare in its combination with RedCard Systems, creating a leading healthcare payments optimization company.
- Represented Cressey & Company LP in its acquisition of HHAeXchange, a provider of home care management software.
- Represented Cressey & Company LP in its acquisition of Elite Dental Partners, a dental services organization.
- Represented Pritzker Private Capital in its acquisition of Plaskolite, North America's largest provider of transparent thermoplastic sheet products.
- Represented Pritzker Private Capital in its acquisition of C. H. Guenther & Son, a producer of a variety of dry and frozen-grain food products for the retail and the food-services industry.
- Represented C. H. Guenther & Son in its acquisitions of Cookietree Bakeries, Mid South Baking Company and Baldinger Bakeries.
- Represented Pritzker Private Capital in its acquisition of ProAmpac, a global flexible packaging company.
- Represented ProAmpac in its acquisitions of Gateway and Trinity Packaging.
- Represented CURT Group in its sale to Lippert Components for approximately $340 million. CURT Group is a designer, manufacturer, marketer, and distributor of towing, towing accessory, and other vehicle accessory products.
- Represented Wind Point Partners in its acquisition of Valicor Environmental Services, one of North America's largest providers of non-hazardous wastewater treatment services, and in its later sale of Valicor to Pritzker Private Capital.
- Represented Valicor in its acquisition of MidState Environmental Services.
- Represented CoolSys, a leading refrigeration and HVAC services company, in its sale to Ares Management.
- Represented Taymax, one of the largest Planet Fitness franchisees in the U.S., in its sale to Trilantic Capital Partners.
- Represented Young Innovations, Inc., a leading manufacturer and distributor of dental hygiene products, in its sale to The Jordan Company.
- Represented Parthenon Capital in its acquisition of Zelis, a healthcare technology growth company and a leading provider of integrated healthcare cost management and payment solutions.
- Represented Cision in the sale by Cision of its U.S. and U.K. Agility business to MediaMiser.
- Represented ConvergEx in the merger of ConvergEx's LiquidPoint business with Dash Financial.
- Represented AE Industrial Partners in its take-private of CDI Corporation for approximately $157.5 million.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its acquisition of Ten-X, an online real estate transaction marketplace.
- Represented Linden Capital Partners in its acquisition of Smile Doctors, a dental services organization.
- Represented Belcan in the acquisition by Belcan of the Aerospace & Industrial Equipment business unit of CDI Corporation.
- Represented Insignia Capital Group in its investment in WillowTree, a leading provider of digital strategy, user experience design, and app development services for a wide range of Fortune 500 companies.
- Represented WillowTree in its acquisition of Dynamit Technologies.